Racking into pot, then back...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozinkent

Reaction score
Hellooo,
Brewing up a 1gallon mead (as I only have space for a 1Gallon demijohn in my flat)

Question about racking :
As I only have 1 Demi, can I rack of in to a sanitized pot, quickly clean the same demijohn and the rack it back into the same demi as the secondary?
I know the risk of oxidising it increases... any tips on this, apart from trying not to mix/aerate the mead while racking??

or will I just need to get another demi?

Merci :)

There is no reason why that will not work. Most people dont like to do this as it slightly increases chances for oxidation, infection, and you tend to lose a little every time rack. It also increases the number of things you have to clean. If you have CO2 you can use that to purge the air out of the pot before you rack and out of the demijohn before you move it back. If you do not just rack slowly and as "quietly" as possible and after it goes back into the demijohn try and reduce the amout of head space on the mead. Sanitized marble work great for this but you can use other things as well.

thanks for the reply.... ill be using my 2gallon stock pot while ill sanitize.
don't have any CO2... so will do ones best! :)

This is what I have been doing: using a pot for my 1gal batches, and 2 20L buckets for the 5 gallon batch, I have not had any infection problems.

I don't do secondary's anymore but when I only had one bucket and a bottle bucket I would rack my primary into my bottle bucket then clean my primary then rack back again with no issues.

Then some smart a$$ said to me, why not primary in your bottle bucket then secondary in your regular bucket, duh!!! This also had no issues. Then I spent $14 dollars and just got another bucket and stopped doing secondary's all together. Fudge, what to with this extra bucket??? so I made more beer. It all worked out.

One can never have enough buckets

Yeah, tell my wife that, she would not agree. I told her, look they stack together so it is like only having one tall bucket. She said yes when they are empty. I said stop focusing on the details and have another beer.

My wife told me angrily that I stole the pantry floor. I calmly told her that she stole my walkin closet for 10 years and to deal with her fairness issues. We are still happily married. Questions?

Better brewing through science!

I don't do secondary's anymore but when I only had one bucket and a bottle bucket I would rack my primary into my bottle bucket then clean my primary then rack back again with no issues.

Then some smart a$$ said to me, why not primary in your bottle bucket then secondary in your regular bucket, duh!!! This also had no issues. Then I spent $14 dollars and just got another bucket and stopped doing secondary's all together. Fudge, what to with this extra bucket??? so I made more beer. It all worked out.

It's very unusual to not secondary nor to use a carboy when making mead. It would be inadvisable, at the least.

Are you sure you meant to post in the mead forum?

Thank you all... I will have a go without buying another demi!
As for the wife'y stuff... yes, this is why I only have room for 1 gallon at a time atm.. the wife will NOT like any more 'stuff' laying about.... haha
although its bubbling away nicly next to my snake's viv. im using the heat mat under the demi to regulate the temp.
oh and its my 4th wedding anni today... and all 'she' ever wanted was new auto syphon and corker!!... woopsie

Back