Racking 4 gallons into 6 gallon carboy - question about pushing out oxygen with sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrganicBrews

Reaction score
Hello again,

I'm ready to move 4 gallons of fermented cider from a bucket to a glass 6 gallon carboy for a bit of aging. I'm worried about oxidation though.

My plan is to add some additional sugar ( this was suggested to me ) to generate additional fermentation to push out the oxygen in the extra space in the carboy.

My question is, how do I calculate how much sugar to add to do this? Also, should I boil the sugar first? Can I boil it in some of the fermented cider and then put that back in? I'd rather not add water.

It was also suggested that I could add some more juice, but I don't have any juice atm to add.

Thanks for looking! :mug:

Buy a 5 gallon Carboy and use marbles to eliminate the headspace

Really? I know 2 gallons of headspace for bulk aging isn't ideal but marbles to eliminate headspace?

OP, You can probably add a few cups and get the yeast eating again. That's what I would do but I honestly never considered doing this to secondary.

Adding sugar will do the trick but you'll cause a little more sediment to form. I've use marbles when I have a little too much head space but trying to displace over half a gallon with marbles is unpractical.

Used to do it all the time. Yes it's a pain in the ass but its not so impractical you can't do it. The stones are cheap at the local hobby store. As you progress, the way to go is ferment in a 6 gallon, 2ndary to a five. But when I started gives fives were all I had

Does anyone know where to get lead free marbles? I did add more juice and it is actively fermenting again. Does sediment effect the taste a lot?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back