R.I.P., My Friends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenOaks

Reaction score
Went to my LHBS yesterday and bought a vial of WLP002 to make a stepped starter for brewing my house Coffee Porter on Sunday. After 15 hours on the stir plate there is no sign of life. All attempts to resuscitate have failed:(

WLP002.jpg

Went to my LHBS yesterday and bought a vial of WLP002 to make a stepped starter for brewing my house Coffee Porter on Sunday. After 15 hours on the stir plate there is no sign of life. All attempts to resuscitate have failed:(

is 15 hours really long enough to call it dead? I've had starters which took almost a full week to show signs of life (yeast taken from a frozen yeast bank experiment, as well as a bottle-culture I recently did from an Ommegang three-eyed raven).. if your vial was a little old or maybe experienced some temp fluctuation in it's prior life, it may just be weak.

I know you want to brew sunday so time is of the essence for you, but maybe let it ride a while?

Get a foam stopper and it will cut the fermentation time in half. 15 hours is too soon to give up on it.

Give it another 12 hours at least, or measure gravity. As the sticky in the beginner forum says, fermentation may take up to 72 hours before showing visible signs.

I've left it on the stir plate and will add another vial later today if it still hasn't budged. It was several days past the Best By date.

I just revived a wlp300 that best before was April 14th of 2014! Give it at least 24hrs to work especially if og of starter was 1.040 or higher

Give it several days, whats the harm?
If just a few cells are viable, it will take them a while to build up.
If there is nothing after a week, ok then, you tried.
Till then, don't give up.

How was that yeast stored at the LHBS? Was it in the "free and reduced" bin perhaps?

I agree, after a week you'll know better what you've got.
If you paid full price, and it fails, tell them and ask for a replacement.

Give it several days, whats the harm?
If just a few cells are viable, it will take them a while to build up.
If there is nothing after a week, ok then, you tried.
Till then, don't give up.

Might be a problem if he wants to brew on Sunday!

My LHBS has 2 locations - one close by and the main location in town. Much less store traffic in the close by one so I need to do a better job of checking dates on yeast before walking out the door since this has happened to me there before. Had to go into town anyway this morning so went to the other location and got a fresher vial and have now added it to the flask. According to my DW this is the best beer I make so I can't afford to screw it up or run out :D

Mixing old and fresher yeast is not a good idea as this can lead to off flavours. You should have dumped the old and start a fresh one. Make sure that the tin foil is loosely on top of the flask. When I used tin foil for my first few tries I noticed that the tin foil gets sucked in and creates a very good seal with the flask. A lack of oxygen will stress the yeast and this will also lead to off flavours.

The date on the vial only means something if stored and handled yeast-properly. I have made successful starters from liquid yeast that was over a year past the "expiration/use by date," but always been stored around 38 degrees. It took 3 days to get the initial starter (1.020) completed, and another round of 2 days to ramp up to pitching volume.

Sounds like the first vial you got was mishandled at some time. Hope the 2nd one does better.

Yeah, I've successfully stepped up old yeast before, too, so I'm thinking this one was some issue other than just a few days past the best before date. The other vial I got today is only a couple of weeks newer but it already is showing signs of life. If I can't brew Sunday then I'll brew whenever the yeast will allow it.

Get a foam stopper and it will cut the fermentation time in half.

I assume the reason for this statement was given in your post #13.

I had not heard that mixing old and new yeast causes off flavours. Doesn't seem that would apply if the "old" yeast are dead.

I assume the reason for this statement was given in your post #13.

I had not heard that mixing old and new yeast causes off flavours. Doesn't seem that would apply if the "old" yeast are dead.

The reason I posted that is because I know he is using tin foil from the photo. When you use a foam stopper, you get about a inch of krausen/oxygen foam formed on the top layer of the flask.

There is a greater chance of mutation with mixing old and new yeast even if the old yeast are dead, you do not want to feed the yeast anything but DME and yeast nutrient. But you are right, I am assuming some of the old yeast is alive, hopefully they are not.

The best before date on the first vial was 6/18/2015 and the date on the "fresher" one was 7/4/2015. So, I'm assuming that difference is insignificant regarding mixing old and new.
"It just goes to show you, it's always something." - Gilda Radner

i would give it more time. i pitched some really old yeast into a starter and it took a while but it made more fresh yeast.

after about 24 hours i noticed that it didnt take off and its usually done by then. took it off the stir plate and put it aside to clean. forgot about it for a few days. come back to clean it and i notice that its fermented and i have new yeast

Mixing old and fresher yeast is not a good idea as this can lead to off flavours.
Citation? How could having a portion of weak/dead cells of the exact same strain in a starter lead to off-flavors? Is that not basically what making a starter from an older slurry is?

I wonder how foil over the top of the flask will seal it? When the yeast start fermentation they will create co2 which will increase pressure inside the flask, loosening the foil seal.

Weak cells, being stressed in a stronger wort, (the brew, not the starter) can lead to off flavors. In the case of a starter you are pitching a small amount so off flavors would be minimal. Decanting the spent liquid would minimize the risk even further. So I would not worry at all about mixing the yeasts.

I have not had longer than 36 hours to see activity in a starter on my stirplate. And usually see signs in less than 12 hours. Sometimes the only thing I see are very tiny bubbles rising in the starter, I have to look very closely with a flashlight to even see them.

I wonder how foil over the top of the flask will seal it? When the yeast start fermentation they will create co2 which will increase pressure inside the flask, loosening the foil seal.

Weak cells, being stressed in a stronger wort, (the brew, not the starter) can lead to off flavors. In the case of a starter you are pitching a small amount so off flavors would be minimal. Decanting the spent liquid would minimize the risk even further. So I would not worry at all about mixing the yeasts.

I have not had longer than 36 hours to see activity in a starter on my stirplate. And usually see signs in less than 12 hours. Sometimes the only thing I see are very tiny bubbles rising in the starter, I have to look very closely with a flashlight to even see them.

the vortex is what sucks the tin foil down and creates a seal. When I seal my flask with tinfoil, i make sure it is loose but no nasties can get in but when I awake the next morning I find that I have a fairly tight, almost packaged like seal which is depriving my workers of some much needed oxygen.

Why i am saying it was a bad idea for "him" specifically this case, is if the old yeast was in a not so ideal environment and it started to ferment then it would lead to off flavours, stressing the yeast can lead to off flavours, so thanks for clarifying my error.

the vortex is what sucks the tin foil down and creates a seal. When I seal my flask with tinfoil, i make sure it is loose but no nasties can get in but when I awake the next morning I find that I have a fairly tight, almost packaged like seal which is depriving my workers of some much needed oxygen.

Very interesting.. I have not closely looked at the beginning of my starters but none have ever been tightly sealed once fermentation has started. But, I just lightly form the foil over the top of the flask.

Back