Quincy! (quince Saison)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclebrazzie

Reaction score
It's that season again :)

For 4 gal of 1.060 OG wort:

6.6 lbs Maris Otter
3.3 lbs Wheat malt
1.1 lbs of carapils
.8 lbs of pilsner malt

Single step infusion mash at 152.5 F until full conversion.
Cool and pitch Lallemand/Danstar Belle Saison.

While primary is underway, prepare your quinces:
8 big quinces, cored but not peeled
1.1 lbs of sugar
.5 lbs of honey (something neutral and not too flowery)
2 star anise
1 vanilla pod
5 clove
1/2 stick of cinnamon
15 grains/kernels of allspice
Cover with water and simmer until nice and deep-hued pink.

When primary nears completion, transfer to carboy by racking on top of the above quince preparation, and pitch with Brett (I'm using Wyeast 5112). Let the Brett have its way with all the residual sugars, pectins and various whatnots. Bottle "when it's done"; depends on how the Belle Saison and Bretts work things out between the two of them.

I'm hoping the gorgeous colour of the quince will remain, as well as a bit of that exotic, mysterious flavour. The spices should add complexity without becoming too much in-your-face.

Comments/opinions/remarks appreciated :)

humm... Why the Carapils?

I wanted to make sure there'd be at least a little bit of body left once the Belle Saison and the Brett are done with the beer.
That, and I had some leftovers in desperate need of an alternative to being chucked in the bin.

Update.

Quincy's been racked off the quinces, and onto a membrillo paste I made with the rest of the box of quinces back in September.

Pitched the last 5 ml or so of a vial of Sour Mélange I was using for another beer, in the hopes that this'll provide a smattering of sour and rusticness to complement the fruitiness it displays at the moment.

Turbid pink. Smells fruity and bubblegummy, tastes fruity but not necessarily quincy (yet). Membrillo's supposed to bring it all together.

More news as the brew completes.

Just an FYI, but quince is fairly high in pectin, Your brew might benefit from a dose of pectic enzyme.
Regards, GF.

Yup. Realised that a little late. Unless I can still add it in secondary...

Update.

Quincey's been bottled, and as expected is very cloudy because of the pectin.

Pity; it would have turned a lovely pink, but is now a drab beige.

Apart from that, it's a pefumed fruity beer; sweet and fruity without being syrup or candy-like.

Lessons learned: avoid pectin haze, maybe turn down the quince just a notch, and introduce a bit of sourness to freshen up the sweetness.
Overall, a beer I'm quite pleased with.

Back