"Quik Shade" anyone use one for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardtack

Reaction score
Quik Shade at Lowe's: 12'x12' Quik Shade Instant Canopy

I got this 12x12 for $90 Yesterday,I figured it would be perfect to brew under.

Keep the Sun off my balding head and leaves n such outa the Beer.

It pops up in under a minute and comes with a backpack to carry it in.

But,I was reading the Directions that came with it and it says,no open flames underneath.

Just wondering ,if anyone uses one,or will this thing melt on top of me?

Thanks, Geoff

I have used on in the past with no issues. Open flame in this case, to me, means an open fire. Not a propane burner with a kettle on it. I've had as many as three burners going at once under it. But I've only ever used in cool, rainy, Portland weather. Sunny days I like being out in the open. Never worried about anything falling into my brew.

that thing looks pretty sweet. is it going to blow away? I've always had to sandbag those things. for $90 I think you got a deal.

Thanks for the reply's, I`m gonna go ahead and use it this weekend (Making Ed Wort`s Kolsch)

As far as it blowing away, it comes with stakes and tie down
ropes, by my patio is concrete, so I`m definitely gonna kave to weight it.

I have four trees close to my patio, so I get those Damn helicopter things prettymuch all day everyday.
Real pain guarding the pot.

Yeah, I haven't used one for brewing... but living in AZ, these are a requirement for just about any outdoor activity. Used them many many times over propane grills. As long as you are not going crazy with a huge grill or something, you will be fine!

I have two I bought on sale at k-mart during the middle of winter. They had a huge stack that probably weren't moving too well because of the crappy weather, so they were half off. I'ved used them in everything from absolutely pouring rain to 100+ degree heat. Never had any issues with firing the burners underneath them. In breezy weather, they WILL blow away though if you don't have something to tie them down with.

Group brew day with reasonable weather:
DSCF0163.JPG

Group brew day with pouring rain:
extreme3.jpg

Double brew day (THB featured) in mid 90's weather:
IMAGE_066.jpg

I've brewed under similar products with never an issue. Just keep monitoring the temp of it. I'd guess someone suggested maybe CO could build up underneath and the choice to add that statement was an lawyers idea.

I have something like that. Never thought of using it to brew under, but might be good thing to pack for a group brew or if it's just raining a little bit outside.

. . . Sunny days I like being out in the open.

you won't do that in florida in the summer! 95 degrees and 95% humidity.
i usually string up a lightweight tarp to deflect direct sun and/or rain(sometimes we get both simultaneously)
when you buy those, look at the specs carefully. sometimes that stated size is the width at the base between the feet, not the actual covered area. a so called 10 x 10 one can actually be 8 x 8 canvas at the top!
if you have wind, you should stake or anchor it down. those are pretty common at the burningman festival, but they can turn into a kite when the desert winds kick up!

I have used them many times brewing. I have a 10X20 and a 10X10 EZUP. When I set it up on the driveway I just fill some homer buckets with water and tie them to each corner .

you won't do that in florida in the summer! 95 degrees and 95% humidity.
i usually string up a lightweight tarp to deflect direct sun and/or rain(sometimes we get both simultaneously)
when you buy those, look at the specs carefully. sometimes that stated size is the width at the base between the feet, not the actual covered area. a so called 10 x 10 one can actually be 8 x 8 canvas at the top!
if you have wind, you should stake or anchor it down. those are pretty common at the burningman festival, but they can turn into a kite when the desert winds kick up!

Yea but you don't get rain 11 months out of the year! When we get sun it's a rarity and we like to enjoy it. I just bought one of these for SCA events, but I can see how it will be useful once winter hits and I don't feel like sitting out in the drizzle. Oh yea and it is 8x8 at the top and 10x10 at the bottom.

Back