Quick turnaround stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I know I should have brewed my obligatory winter stout long ago, but I didn't. Anyone have a recommended recipe for a favorite stout that doesn't need to age before drinking? Something that would be tasty even after just a couple weeks in the bottle (I bottle). Thanks!

Any not too large stout should do, I'm thinking Irish dry stout or oatmeal stout.

This weekend I'm probably brewing a Scottish dry oatmeal stout with a touch of molasses to be fermented with Edinburgh ale yeast.
6-7 lbs Pilsner malt
1.5-2 lbs oatmeal
1 lb roasted barley or swap in chocolate malt/mix and match
8-12 oz molasses

Bitter to 25-30 ibus, adjust to taste

Mash at 150-152.
Shoot for 4-5% abv beer that'll need 10-14 days in primary and then bottle. Of course it could easily be done with extract and dry yeast. So long as you have a healthy ferment and use a yeast that doesn't throw off a lot of diacetyl moving onto bottling at 10 days or so isn't a problem. Keep in mind a more flocculant yeast is your friend for moving beer fast and not having to much sediment in your bottles.

I've bottled and drank 1.080 stouts in a month, and they were quite good. Follow all the usual best practices, but if you brew and ferment properly you shouldn't have to age the beer for an extended period. The nice thing about bottling is that you can drink some early and let the rest age.

For perspective professional breweries routinely bottle/serve 7 day old beer. That looks something like this:
3-4 days to ferment
1-2 day for yeast to clean up after themselves
1-2 days cold crash
A few hours to carbonate
Package or serve via taproom.
Chiefly they optimize every step to move the process along quickly and with good results. Huge yeast pitching rate,?constant perfectly controlled fermentation temps, etc.

Even in a homebrew environment I keg at 9-14 days on roughly half my beers.

Ok, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Now I just need to figure out the recipe.

Deception Cream Stout was one of my first brews ever (extract), and I think it would be kind of fun to revisit it in all-grain form. That might be the winner.

I just made this, my first stout. Ever. It turned out super super good, was good 4 days after bottling but had some extra time in the primary. I did not secondary this:

Grain Weight
2-Row Pale Malt (US) 7 Lbs
Flaked Barley 1.5 Lbs
Carvienne 1 Lbs
Munich Malt (10L) 1 Lbs
Roasted Barley 1 Lbs
Special B Malt 1 Lbs
Flaked Wheat .5 Lbs
Black Malt 4 oz

Hops Weight Time
Fuggles .5 oz 60 Min
Galena .5 oz 60 Min
East Kent Goldings .25 oz 15 Min

Other
2.5 oz Anise 30 min - Fully strain before moving to fermenter.

Yeast : SafAle US-05

Back