Quick Sour Hef?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any try one? I've made a Gose a handful of times using US-05 (or the like) yeast for ferment and I like them but want to get off the beaten path. I was thinking about kicking up gravity to 1.050 and kettle souring to about 3.5ph. Get some esters going in there to make it more complex.

Thoughts/experience welcome.

Adding your lacto after the primary fermentation slows down could be an option to make something different. I think you would detect more of the Hef characteristics that way.

IMG_0415.jpg

Thanks for input guys but I’m shooting to make a Hefeweizen style similar to this farmhouse from Jolly Pumpkin. It still had great yeast characteristics as well a sour bite. Maybe it’s a blend. But I worry about bottle bombs even in corked Belgian bottles.

In a quasi- related note, anyone gets me another bottle or 2 of this and I’d give you my first born.

Supposedly some Hefe yeasts produce some very different characteristics at low PH. I can’t remember where I heard that but it was some highly regarded brewer on a podcast I believe.

Try it, love to hear how it turns out.

If you just wanted a little more acidity you could try just lowering the PH going into the fermenter a bit with some lactic. Hefe yeasts produce a bunch of acid normally and you might be able to get it down a little lower.

Back