Quick Sour Belgian Golden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
I was going to do a Belgian Golden Sour with the following recipe:

7lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
1lb Amber Liquid Malt Extract

Hops to bitter it

So I was going to essentially infect my beer with a bug after dissolving the LMEs into the water, and then let it sit for a few days. After I think its sour enough, I'm going to reheat it, and boil the hops, then make a normal beer (pitching yeast) --- ideas?

I have no idea what would happen to the flavor of the sourness if it was boiled. From that I would consider it an experiment. Personally if I was looking to lock in sourness at a given level I would brew as normal (or do a non-boil brew for lacto) and ferment as normal for the style and filter when the sourness hit my ideal level.

Did you get this idea from the current Zymurgy mag? I read that and am thinking about doing the same thing soon.

The method you're describing is almost exactly the method Papazian outlines in the Joy of Homebrewing, Appendix 6 I think. He says to do it in your kettle, scatter a half pound or so of milled unspent grain, cover the kettle with foil and try to get as much air out from underneath the foil as possible and keep the kettle temp around 100F by wrapping it in a sleeping bag or blanket. I think I got all that right. Please correct me if I'm wrong, that was all from memory.:drunk:

Back