Quick questions about Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JZ_brewing

Reaction score
If I put 5 gallons of fresh pressed apple juice in a carboy with campden tabs:

1. how long do I let it sit in the carboy before pitching yeast

2. Airlock while it is sitting with the campden?

3. Once pitching how long can I leave it in primary before racking to secondary for final months

4. I will be adding honey and spices. When do I throw those in?

5. Can I dissolve the honey and other stuff in heated apple juice before adding to the carboy?

Thanks,

JZ

24 - 48 hours

If you want, but not necessary

3. Once pitching how long can I leave it in primary before racking to secondary for final months

30 days at least.....4-6 months is fine.

I add spices to secondary, Honey as soon as primary fermentation slows....14 days or so

5. Can I dissolve the honey and other stuff in heated apple juice before adding to the carboy?

Yes but not too hot. I just set my honey container in sink of hot water until it liquifies nicely.

Thanks,

JZ

Have fun

Thanks,

JZ

1. 12 hrs.

2. Yes.

3. Depends on the strain of yeast, the ambient temp, the amount of added sugars (if any), and whether you decide to use a secondary or not, a lot do, a lot don't. On average, I'd say ABOUT 2 months.

4. I'd add the honey to primary, the spices to secondary, but you can add them to primary if you want. Just use whole/cracked/sliced instead of powdered, makes it easy to remove them later & is much less messy.

5. Yes, but I wouldn't boil, you'll set pectins that way.

Good luck!
Regards, GF. :mug:

Back