Quick question ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First wort hopping gives a less harsh bitter flavor. So it is good in any situation where you collect the wort then boil. Put the hops in the pot then add the wort before bringing it to a boil. I haven't done a side by side, but it does seem to work.

I was planning on throwing an oz of citra in with my specialty grains once I reach my mash temp of 158

Wait until you have removed the grains.

When I first started using FWH, I was not impressed. I combined it with a regular bittering charge. Recently I've done some with just FWH, and no 60 minute charge. I dial it into the recipe as a 30 minute addition (so use more hops), and it has been turning out great.

Very interesting .. I've inly done about 20 mini mash batches in my brewing history and never had a problem getting the bitter I want in my IPAs but not as easy to find the flavor or aroma qualities that I'm after .. Maybe I should experiment with fwh and ease back from my 60 min charge and add that reduction to my flavor charge ?

Well **** ... I tried first wort hopping as well as a 60 min bitter , extra flavor and aroma hops , late liquid malt addition (hoping to get better hop utilization ) , dry hopped and stilllll manage to make the weakest flavored beer I ever made lol

Well **** ... I tried first wort hopping as well as a 60 min bitter , extra flavor and aroma hops , late liquid malt addition (hoping to get better hop utilization ) , dry hopped and stilllll manage to make the weakest flavored beer I ever made lol

Hmmm. That sounds like something really wrong. Do you want to post the recipe and technique and have us help trouble shoot?

FWH are when you're doing your "First runnings." Not in the mash, but as the name says, added into the first wort.

What do you mean by mini mash? Do you mean partial mash, or are you just steeping grains?

Are you using any kind of brewing software to help you determine amounts? Are all of your inputs double-checked, in order to make sure that the output information will be correct?

Lastly, regarding FWH:
http://brulosophy.com/2015/07/06/the-first-wort-hop-effect-exbeeriment-results/

I meant extract with specialty grains .. I would post the recipe , but I'm a little too upset at my results to type it out lol .. I think it was my fault though , I think I added too much water after the boil .. But that still doesn't seem to add up , because I added an extra pound of golden light dme and a pound of corn sugar to bump up my abv .. I'll try to take a picture of the recipe page that came in the kit

No need to be upset, nor embarrassed. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. If you post what how you brewed it and what your recipe was, we can help you fix it. If not you're on your own for your next brew, and then you gotta hope you have read up enough to get it right.

Back