Quick! Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
So I soaked my better bottle with 2oz of bleach and 5 gallons of water for 24 hrs. I have rinsed the crap out of it and can't get the smell out of it. Also it appears that it discolored the very center of the better bottle. So my question is did I ruin this Better bottle? I need it here in like an hour to transfer my skeeter pee but I don't want it to smell or taste like bleach...
Thanks guys!

This is the discoloration I'm talking about on the bottom of it.

1406702527769.jpg

First rule don't use bleach! Jk not sure how to get rid of the bleach smell . Do you have any water treatment tabs around? If not use sanitizer but instead of 1oz use 2 and let it sit for awhile

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have heard "sun" will help dissipate bleach... Time will dissipate chlorine as well. I can't say one way or another if the better bottle is "ruined" - I know I would not put beer in something that smelled like chlorine though.

Going forward I would really suggest getting rid of bleach from your cleaning/sanitizing protocol. One of the key things I did to see significant improvements in my brewing was switching to PBW (and rinse) for cleaning ans Star San(don't rinse) for Sanitizing. It is really difficult to beat those products.

Filling the better bottle with PBW/Hot water mix might get rid of the issue.

How did it work? I was thinking maybe soaking with Oxyclean or something similar might do the trick. Also, rinsing it multiple times with water tends to minimize the bleach smell.

I rinsed the crap out of it! And then I let it sit with double strength starsan and shook it every few minutes for a couple hours and it had lessened some so I went ahead and racked my skeeterpee into it. We will see how it turns out in about a week. Thanks you guys!

Back