quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter006

Reaction score
Doing my second wine kit, nothing special and after the last kit I noticed how much body was missing from the taste.
Second batch now but I have added grape concentrate to the mix which I purchased from wilkinsons.
Half way through fermentation and noticed how slow its going. Upon reading the lable of the concentrate it states that its a good nutrient for the yeast : Contains sulphites !!!
Bit of a contradiction, will this affect the brew??
Tia

It is quite normal for shelf stable products to have sulphite on board, otherwise it starts a wild yeast ferment in the container. The amount they add is usually at minimum of industry standard. Many wine buckets even have k-meta on board already. No worries.

In regard to slowness...what was OG and pitch date of yeast, what yeast, what kit, and SG readings plus the date? Many kits have you ferment under airlock yet yeast NEED oxygen during early stage. You may want to consider popping airlock, stir twice daily--until OG has dropped by 2/3 or 10 days which ever comes first--just cover opening with light clean towel, secure with elastic, etc.

Thanks.
The kits are just cheap 14/21 day ( 6 bottle/1 gal ) kits but surprisingly good. Just thought its a better alternative to buying a bottle a day @ £5 and more fun.
Loving this brewing..
Unfortunatly didn't take SG reading as I have done these kits before with no problem so just went with it this time.
The difference was in one of them I added the concentrate to add body and it seems sluggish.
200g bottle so added 50g assuming it was intended for a 25L drew..
The other is glugging away happily without concentrate so was just wondering if maybe it has done something to the wine. .
I'll keep my eyes on it and see what happens.
Thanks for the info and I'll report back when they should be ready.
Looking for a FG of around .995 ish.
Thanks again.

All good on the wine.
Was fermenting at 3L for the first 3 days, now topped off to 1gal. Moved over to blow off tube as it has gone into over drive and pushing out the top !!

Thanks

Back