Quick Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPA_33

Reaction score
Here's the situation:

11lbs of grains
mashed at 1.20qts water/ 1 lbs grain. at approx 157F

Mash wass a little thick, maybe should have mashed out to aid sparge but that went well all things considered.

OG at 1.060

Fermentation starts quickly (about an hour or so) with Wyeast AM. Ale

Fermentation action stops 3 days in. On fourth day I transfer to secondary and take another reading which comes in at 1.008??? Is this possible in 3 days? Everything smells, looks and tastes normal and promising. The primary just happened so fast! This ever happen to anyone else. Glass carboy btw.

Yeah I wish I would have myself, I was simply thinking, "hey, that's done, let's get it off the yeast." Oh well, like I said, everything seems great and on target.

IPA_33 said:
Yeah I wish I would have myself, I was simply thinking, "hey, that's done, let's get it off the yeast." Oh well, like I said, everything seems great and on target.

Yeast are your friend! Keeping them in your beer as mentioned for "clean-up" duty will only help. Thats part of the reason why some are doing primary only fermentation/conditioning and also why pitching the right # of yeast makes better beer.

Latest posts

Back