Quick logic check - dry hopping in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
So my last and only dry hop attempt went sour...literally. I got some type of infection, unrelated to the hops, and the beer was too off-tasting to enjoy.

I recently brewed a 'leftovers' american pale ale, with little flavor hops and no aroma addition. Its a pretty decent beer, but has no complexity in flavor. So I thought I'd toss in a 1/2 ounce of whole cascade hops.

Its already in the keg and carbed, which is why I can say it just lacks complexity on the palate.

The plan is to sanitize a new hop sack I just bought, toss in the dry 1/2 ounce, and gently lower it into the keg (after venting pressure of course), so it doesn't volcano all the CO2 out.
I'm hoping my keg lid has something inside to tie the sack to, or I'll try to tie on the dip tube. Any other tips/tricks for that? Other than 'let it sink and fish it out later'...

Figured I'd drop it in tonight and pull it out Friday or Saturday.

Yes/No?

So my last and only dry hop attempt went sour...literally. I got some type of infection, unrelated to the hops, and the beer was too off-tasting to enjoy.

I recently brewed a 'leftovers' american pale ale, with little flavor hops and no aroma addition. Its a pretty decent beer, but has no complexity in flavor. So I thought I'd toss in a 1/2 ounce of whole cascade hops.

Its already in the keg and carbed, which is why I can say it just lacks complexity on the palate.

The plan is to sanitize a new hop sack I just bought, toss in the dry 1/2 ounce, and gently lower it into the keg (after venting pressure of course), so it doesn't volcano all the CO2 out.
I'm hoping my keg lid has something inside to tie the sack to, or I'll try to tie on the dip tube. Any other tips/tricks for that? Other than 'let it sink and fish it out later'...

Figured I'd drop it in tonight and pull it out Friday or Saturday.

Yes/No?

Will work fine. Tie some unflavored floss to the bag and slip the other end through the seal of the lid to hold the bag in place. By far the easiest method i've used. Pretty much has to be floss, or something equally as thin, or it will cause a leak. Be sure to double check for leaks too. I sometimes have to blast it with 20+ psi to seal it up around the floss. You may also want to weigh down the bag with something glass/stainless to keep it from floating? i use a SS tea ball, which is heavy enough to submerge the hops.

floss...nice! I couldn't think of anything thin enough that would seal or not cut into the o-ring like fishing line would.

I have the stir-bar for my stir-plate to help add weight.

Back