quick hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Reaction score
might be harvesting a bunch of hops here in the next day or two. just wondering the best way to store them. freeze them fresh, dry them out first than freeze or vac seel? also wondering the best way to use the hops, fresh or dried? thanks ahead

I believe you should dry them out first, then freeze them. I'm sure vacuum sealing the bags wouldn't hurt. Other members might be able to confirm.

I froze some in zip-lock bags a couple months ago, and now they're staring to smell like the freezer. LHBS told me I should vacuum seal them. I agree.

so dry them first and than vacuum seel? whats the proper way to dry hops?

would placing them on cookie sheets with newspaper and a gentle fan suffice?

I just placed mine on cookie sheets for a week and it seemed to be enough to get the job done. It probably helps that it's been really dry here the past month, they're drying inside my house with a dehumidifier, and I only put a few ounces wet per cookie sheet. I think the first ones I picked dried out to 20-25%. I'm going to weigh the rest tomorrow just before I brew a huge harvest ale.

I put some in ziploc freezer bags for 2-3 weeks while I waited to harvest the rest of my 1st year plants. I haven't smelled them yet, but the day after I squeezed out as much air as possible, the bags are puffed up in the freezer. I don't know if the hops are off gassing, the bags are just that bad with seals, or what. Next year I'll need to go the vacuum seal route for long term storage.

my next brew date isn't for another 2 weeks so I guess I'll dry, vac seel than freeze. thanks all :mug:

Back