Quick force carbing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Hi, finally got everything hooked up and burped the keg and made all the connections in my kegerator.

but I was just thinking, is it better to keep the beer going out connector disconnected from the keg while force carbing or does it not matter?

Either way, it should not matter* - unless your keg Out post has a dodgy poppet.
Then it might be better to have the beer line connected than risk a puddle...

Cheers!

* Super Low O2 types might frown on any extra tubing being connected to a keg that's not actually serving at that moment. 'Course, they also disconnect everything between pours, so... ;)

I never connect the beer line until I believe it's carbonated and I'm ready to reduce pressure and pour, but it probably doesn't matter; that's just been my habit. I just don't want to pressurize the faucet at 40 psi, but I don't have a real reason to believe it would leak.

ok thanks guys! I have everything connected and everything appears fine atm, though i think the next go I'll leave the tap disconnected until it's prime time

You should definitely not leave it connected to the keg that's carbonating. Why? It should be connected to a keg that's already carbonated. If there isn't a keg ready to go, you need to get your act together and brew more often. An idle tap is like a barley grain that doesn't get made into beer - a wasted opportunity ;)

You should definitely not leave it connected to the keg that's carbonating. Why? It should be connected to a keg that's already carbonated. If there isn't a keg ready to go, you need to get your act together and brew more often. An idle tap is like a barley grain that doesn't get made into beer - a wasted opportunity ;)

First timer and was just trying to get everything set up, on further thought yeah I was thinking I should disconnect the beer line for now.

There’s no keg ready to go because this is my first keg lol, I fully plan on having always at least 1-2 going. It’s a triple tap setup :)

Do I have to turn off the co2 and purge the keg before taking off the quick disconnect to the beer line?

First timer and was just trying to get everything set up, on further thought yeah I was thinking I should disconnect the beer line for now.
There's no need to disconnect the beer line, just keep an eye out for leaks on a new setup.

There’s no keg ready to go because this is my first keg lol, I fully plan on having always at least 1-2 going. It’s a triple tap setup :)
In that case, all is forgiven!

Do I have to turn off the co2 and purge the keg before taking off the quick disconnect to the beer line?
No. Avoid venting the keg as much as possible. There are times you have to do it (eg. over carbonated beer) but it loses aromatics from the beer and causes foaming in the keg, which may affect head on your beer (it might not either, I'm just guessing a bit here). It also won't make a difference if the CO2 is connected or not when you disconnect the beer line.

First timer and was just trying to get everything set up

put your tank on a postal scale that stay's on....catch a leak to the first ounce.....

There's no need to disconnect the beer line, just keep an eye out for leaks on a new setup.

damn, beat me to it......but i said it differently......

Back