Quick-disconnect airlock for corny keg? (is there a better way?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trauts

Reaction score
Is there a better way to hook up an airlock to the gas post on my cornelius keg? This seems... overcomplicated. I know there are drilled lids... that's not what I want.

Mock up of what I've come up with so far:

airlock3.jpg

yup. Remove poppet from gas-in post. Re-install post. Use 3" of 3/8" silicone hose and apply over top of gas in post. Insert air lock into hose
upload_2019-1-16_12-30-50.png

When done, remove airlock hose and post, and insert poppet. Re-install post. Purge with CO2. Very little should be needed......

Last edited:
Is there a better way to hook up an airlock to the gas post on my cornelius keg? This seems... overcomplicated. I know there are drilled lids... that's not what I want.

Mock up of what I've come up with so far:

View attachment 607532
I used to use a short piece of vinyl tubing over the 1/4" threads of the QD connector, going to a portion of racking cane from the bent part, and then another short piece of vinyl tubing to connect up to a bubbler.

The simplest thing in the world is to just use a gas QD with a barb fitting, and place a tube over that running to a jar of sanitizer. This makes a simple, cheap airlock.

A multi-piece plastic airlock is not practical, as illustrated by the Rube Goldberg collection of parts needed to attach it. But more importantly, it's not necessary either.

As long as you're careful to disconnect before cold crashing, to avoid suckback. It's kinda easier to forget that kind of thing when fermenting in kegs.

Back