Quick carboy question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdm5209

Reaction score
I bought a Northern Brewer deluxe starter kit a few years back. Brewed one time, then moved to a condo/apt and hadnt brewed again until recently. Have a brewers best IPA in primary now. I was looking through the inventory list that came with the starter kit and it lists a 6g carboy and 5g carboy (both glass) as being included. Looking on the bottom of the carboys, though, it has etched 6.5g and 6g respectively. Which is accurate? I ask because I was going to secondary the IPA, but I'm considering skipping secondary and using the smaller for another primary. Wondering if I'll definitely need a blow off tube.

At 6 gallons you may not need a blow off tube. If you generally experience very healthy ferments then better safe than sorry unless you enjoy mopping the ceiling.

I would think the size on the carboy would be correct.

Yeah, probably better just to be safe I guess. I'm partly just curious for future reference which to believe. Unless maybe NB is stating the largest recommended fermentation volume and the number on the carboy itself is the volume if you filled it all the way to the brim. Possible I guess.

A 6 gallon carboy is 6 gallons from the bottom to where it begins to taper at the top. The tapered area is 1/2 gallon. So a 6 gallon carboy has enough room for 6 gallons of wort with a half gal of headspace left over.

I'm about 90 percent sure this is true.

I very frequently need a blow off tube with my 6.5 gallon carboy so yes I would say use one. If you don't need it, you need to pitch more yeast :) Make a starter...

Latest posts

Back