Quick Beer - Need Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
while my honey ginger lager is lagering for a month, i want to brew a quick beer that i could drink within two weeks (going to keg and force carb). does anyone have any suggestions? i was thinking an irish red ale or caramel cream ale but i dont know how fast those are. any input?

Here's one I made recently... force carbed and was drinking in 10 days

Hefalumpaweizen

Size: 5.0 gal
Original Gravity: 1.052
Terminal Gravity: 1.013
Color: 4.81
Alcohol: 5.1%
Bitterness: 13.4

Ingredients:
2.0 oz Acidulated Malt
6.0 oz Carahell®
5.0 lb Midwest Wheat Malt
5.0 lb Pilsner Malt
0.50 oz Liberty (4.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.25 oz Perle (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
0.25 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale
Ferment in the low 60's for best results

Hefeweizen it is. Does anyone have a really good extract hefe recipe? Haven't made the jump to AG yet because I don't have the equipment. I want to do a hefe I can add orange peel to. That would make a nice summer beer

Just grab wheat extract and target 1.048 OG and grab some noble hops (tettnanger, saaz...etc) and hop it to 18-20 IBU then let your yeast do the work. The real trick with a hefe is keeping the fermentation temp as close to 66 as possible. Higher and you start to get more banana flavors than you should, lower and you won't get enough, sometimes lower gives more clove flavor. Personally I like to roast a pound of wheat and throw in .25lbs chocolate malt and call mine a dunkelweiss.

Hefeweizen it is. Does anyone have a really good extract hefe recipe? Haven't made the jump to AG yet because I don't have the equipment. I want to do a hefe I can add orange peel to. That would make a nice summer beer

Bakersbrew - Do my oberdorfer weissbier. Its the tits. See my recipes drop down. Extract with grains You-likey! :D

BTW - I 2ndaried. Its not really needed... I just wanted less farts.

beer_photos_009.jpg

Just grab wheat extract and target 1.048 OG and grab some noble hops (tettnanger, saaz...etc) and hop it to 18-20 IBU then let your yeast do the work. The real trick with a hefe is keeping the fermentation temp as close to 66 as possible. Higher and you start to get more banana flavors than you should, lower and you won't get enough, sometimes lower gives more clove flavor. Personally I like to roast a pound of wheat and throw in .25lbs chocolate malt and call mine a dunkelweiss.

Agreed. Nice and easy. A basic recipe, assuming 5 gal:

6# Wheat DME
1 oz Saaz (60 min)

No other hops additions, 'cause the yeast needs to take center stage, and the hops will fight it.

I'm not against making it a dunkel, by any means.

Agreed. Nice and easy. A basic recipe, assuming 5 gal:

6# Wheat DME
1 oz Saaz (60 min)

No other hops additions, 'cause the yeast needs to take center stage, and the hops will fight it.

I'm not against making it a dunkel, by any means.

You need grains for some head retention. Don't gyp yourself and leave these out...

My Minute Wheat recipe was 14 days from boiling the extract to keg totally drained. Extra-Light DME, Rice Syrup Solids, and Wheat Dry Extract with a touch of steeping grains for color (which are totally unnecessary if you don't want to mess with 'em). I used Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast, which avoids any threat of banana esters due to high fermentation temperature.

It was tasty as hell, popular with both a certified pro Master Brewer and my mother-in-law, who told me, "I don't drink homebrew willingly, but I'll have a second pint of this!" A great mouthfeel, with a pleasant haze and persistent head. Slightly sweet, crisp, and easy to drink.

I brewed a second batch last Friday to serve next Thursday. 13 days from brew to drink. It just doesn't get faster.

Sold on it yet?

Dude, I am totally not down with that! As an American Wheat, I'm sure it's great, but hefes need banana!

Iso-amyl acetate is the reason I like hefes! But, if you're really trying to avoid it, I guess Nottingham is a lot better for giving some good yeastiness than Chico.

I never said it was a hefe. It's an American Wheat or a Cream Ale (which can have wheat in it). It actually qualifies under the BJCP guidelines for both categories.

I totally concur that hefes need banana, but that flavor & aroma don't appeal to everyone. Even Widmer Hefeweizen, the most popular wheat beer in America, is by no means a true Hefe - it has no banana esters at all.

Back