Quick attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, Thursday I brewed a BB Belgian Witbier fermented with Safbrew WB06. I had the starter doing it's thing for 24hrs, where I usually let it go about 6hrs.
Like I say, this was brewed, cooled and in the carboy by 1pm on Thursday, and by Friday at 9pm when I get home from work, I see the krauesen has subsided and I got flocculation and yeast rafts!
I'm only 10 batches in, but I have never seen an attenuation happen in like 36 hours.
Does anyone think it's because I let my starter go so long?

24 hours is about the right amount of time for a starter to go, in my experience. Is that Safbrew a dry yeast? Most people don't bother with a starter for dry yeasts since it's generally cheaper to just add another pack of yeast than use the DME to make a starter.

What was your fermentation temperature? The warmer the beer, the faster the yeast will work.

To answer your question though, some yeasts are fast movers and it is not impossible to have vigorous fermentation done in 36 hrs. It is unusual in my experience, but not impossible or a sign of something bad. I would still give it 2 weeks at least before checking gravity to ensure that it's done fermenting. Some yeast can get very active then tick along quietly for a while.

My experience with wit yeast is that it goes crazy for a while then starts to floc early. I need to swirl gently now and then to make sure it finishes ok

Yup, starter will usually be done at that point, that's when I crash so I can decant

Latest posts

Back