queston about altering extract KIT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

it99

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon TruBru extract kit of an Irish Stout.

I'd really prefer to make a smaller batch of 2.5 gal and have it be stronger than your typical 4% stout.

What if I use all of the 5 gallon ingredients but just make a 2.5 gallon batch. So I would just use half of the water. So you would have double the fermentable extract for a 2.5 gallon vesion. Will this work? Will it taste decent and just be more alcohol? Should it be 8% alcohol if I use yeast starter and plenty of yeast?

Thanks!!

Might have some chew to that one when it's done. Def use more yeast,& one that can take the ABV. You'll want the yeast to stay active for the carbonating phase.

It looks like it uses Muntons Ale dry yeast.

If I want to have it be a higher alcohol should i use 2 of these yeasts or
a liquid wyeast with a yeast starter? If so what wyeast would be good to use for an irish stout? thanks

They have a irish stout yeast. Check midwest or the like for a description. And the ABV tolerance as well.

If I want to add a little chocolatey/coffee can i just add some chocolate malt as specialty grains to steep? I might also try adding cacao in secondary.

I'd say start with .5lb of each. You'll have to play around with the amounts to get them at the level you prefer. You want them to add to the complexity of flavors,not dominate them by adding too much.

Back