Questions on saving yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintjl

Reaction score
I recently harvested and washed yeast from my primary fermentation, for the first time. I noticed once I had my yeast in my pint mason jars and they started to settle out more, that I had also harvested a fair amount (about a fingers worth) of trub. I know I left the majority of the trub behind but my first question is whether or not that trub will have a major negative effect on my yeast if I were to try and reuse it. I also noticed this batch of beer has a fair amount of esters in it. The only reason for this that I can think of is that I had under oxygenated wort because I forgot to shake up my carboy after transfering my wort from my kettle. I made a starter for this batch from a smack pack of wyeast's irish ale and the fermentation never got over 68 degrees as my house is fairly cool (usually in the mid to low 60's). I'm wondering if the yeast I saved from this batch will be too stressed and if it will continue to make overly estery beer if I were to make a starter with it and pitch it into properly oxygenated wort. Thanks for your time and let me know what you guys think.

I rinse yeast. When I do it, I actually don't try to swirl the water too much in the fermenter, just enough to peel the top layer, just for this reason. But I also have ended up with a lot of trub before I started doing it this way. It won't hurt too much. A fix is to gently swirl the jar around enough to get the yeast on top in suspension without disturbing the bottom layers too much. Then you can pour this off into another sanitized container, leaving the trub behind. Sorry I can't talk too much to the estery thing, but if I had to guess, I would say the yeast is fine, it was more the condition of the wort and the ferment temps. Hope that helps.

Im new to this myself, but i dont get if you can ranch yeast then just let it set room temp til the next day to brew or not? If you fell like you got trub in it i think it would be fine for a while but i would think overtime bacteria can come in over a while.
If you were to brew the next day im shure the trub and all would be fine if you attempted to wash it.
I still dont know what im getting into, do you pour out the water on top of it first then pitch?If not making a starter? I plan on getting enough not to have to do a starter- doing a small batch.

Latest posts

Back