Questions installing a new false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
As you can see http://i.imgur.com/vWS4Wc7.jpg the elbow barb on my false bottom and the barb on the bulkhead/ball valve are only like 1.5-2" apart. Additionally, what you can't see, the elbow barb on the false bottom is about a half inch to an inch higher than the barb on the bulkhead/ball valve.

Is this going to cause issues? I haven't gotten the tubing in yet because I didn't know if I needed to switch out the barb on the bulkhead/ball valve to a female to make the run of tubing longer between the two. Thoughts?

It shouldn't be an issue at all, it might be a pain getting a hose on without a kink in it but if that is accomplished it'll work great

It shouldn't be an issue at all, it might be a pain getting a hose on without a kink in it but if that is accomplished it'll work great

Thanks. I'm going to give it a shot tonight and see if I can get it on there. I guess I just didn't know if, even if it doesn't have a kink, if it would affect the flow rate since the ball valve will be lower than the elbow.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a shot tonight and see if I can get it on there. I guess I just didn't know if, even if it doesn't have a kink, if it would affect the flow rate since the ball valve will be lower than the elbow.

Once the flow starts it'll create a siphon.

Yeah, it ain't gonna work. I just ordered a female barb for the bulkhead/BV and a shorter 90 degree barb for the false bottom.

Back