Questions for my next brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just begun home brewing and have had 1 successful and one mildly successful brew. Both of them looked great and had good head retention but were a bit on the watery side of taste and body. How can I elevate these two aspects of my brews without sacrificing the two things I got right?

Brew #1 Listerman Porter kit

Brew #2 Sierra Nirvana Kit Paradise Brewing

Thanks

What was your final gravity on the beers? If the yeast uses were high attenuating yeast so that your gravity dropped real low giving you very dry beer, it can give you that watery mouth feel.

As an extract brewer there are a few things you can do:
1. Add Dextrin powder to give you a fuller beer.
2. Add (steep) some crystal malts.
3. Add lactose to increase body and feel.

Check out this Brew Your Own article... a lot is all grain, but there is info for extract brewers in there...http://byo.com/belgian-strong-ale/item/89-add-body-to-your-beer

I see you're here in cincy, too. Did you ask the guys at listermann? They're all super helpful and could probably steer you in the right direction.

I agree, ask the guys at the store. They are usually helpful. I've not made any of their kits (I've not made any kits), but I go there quite often.

If you really want some advice here, you should post the ingredients, quantities, yeast, and any gravity measurements you may have taken.

What was your final gravity on the beers? If the yeast uses were high attenuating yeast so that your gravity dropped real low giving you very dry beer, it can give you that watery mouth feel.

As an extract brewer there are a few things you can do:
1. Add Dextrin powder to give you a fuller beer.
2. Add (steep) some crystal malts.
3. Add lactose to increase body and feel.

Check out this Brew Your Own article... a lot is all grain, but there is info for extract brewers in there...http://byo.com/belgian-strong-ale/item/89-add-body-to-your-beer

I agree with this, Crystal Malts are what I usually use.

Back