Questions about stepped starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntense

Reaction score
Hi guy,
I do have some questions about making my first starter.

At first, here's some informations you might know:

I want to ferment a 27 gallons lager, and according to 'Brewer's Friend' recipe, I would need a target pitch rate of 2080 Billions yeast cells.

I bought two pack of wyeast, so I'm starting with 200 Billions cells.

So 'Brewer's Friend' starter calculator is telling me:

-Starter step 1: 1.5L, gravity 1.036, aeration with a stir plate: 465 Billions cells.
-Starter step 2: 2.5L, gravity 1.036, aeration with a stir plate: 994 Billions cells.
-Starter step 3: 5L, gravity 1.036, aeration with a stir plate: 2091 Billions cells.

First question: Do I decant the first starter before adding the step 2, 2.5L wort?

Second question: How long do I need the stir on the plate de wort/yeast?

Am I doing ok or am I off the track?

thanks,
David

Definitely decant the wert before you go to the next step. Ideally you would cold crash it to settle the yeast out. The length of time depends on how much you are trying to grow it up. I use a stir plate and watch for the krausen to fall and then let it go another 1/2 day or so. I think typically it will be done in 24 -36 hours per step. Probably a lot shorter in some cases.

Wow - big ass brew day! I would do what NeoBrew suggests, but just an idea - next time you want to brew 20+ gallons of brew (ale or lager) it might be a better idea just to make 5 gallons of the same type of beer and use that yeast cake as the starter for your big ass batch.

thanks for the inputs guys, it's appreciated.

I'll also keep the yeast from the next batch as Eadavis80 told. It's a good idea and I'll search the forum to know how to do it.

I didn't really care about buying yeast before as my batches weren't bigger than 15 gallons, but now it's another story with a 27 gallons lager.. ;)

Back