questions about raw cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grad

Reaction score
Hello,
I found a source for unpasteurized cider in my area. The only thing is is that it's about an hour drive away so I'm not sure it's worth the drive. Is the taste difference noticable between pasteurized cider and raw cider in the finished product? Also I have to leave buckets and then drive back 4 days later to pick them up, but I'm concerned that it will start to ferment in the fridge while they store it. Is this a valid concern? It's a good price and I've always wanted to use fresh raw cider so I'm just wanting to hear from people that use raw and can give me any advice on the taste and also about using sulphites to sanitize the must before fermentation.
Thanks in advance!

I drop my buckets and pick them up later. I don’t know if there is a taste difference. It’s sometimes in the fridge for a few days. I treat it with Camden when I get home. Then pitch yeast a day or two later. I’ve never had a problem with spontaneous fermentation or bacteria.

It isn't quite the same but I scat and press my own apples. I will sometimes leave it for a few days to let the juice settle a bit (there is often a fair bit of suspended pulp in it), then rack into a fermenting bucket with campden and pectinase for 24-48 hours before pitching then yeast. So far everything has worked fine.

So its a total of 4 hours driving to get the cider?
Maybe there's something else to do in the area or on the way to make the trip worthwhile?
I wouldn't worry about the fermentation issue 4 days after pressing.
I never add sulfite to my cider and don't have any problems.
Is it worth it? I'd say probably not. I've had lots of apple juice right off the farm that was pretty crappy.
Just because its "raw cider" doesn't mean it will make a decent fermented cider. The selection of apple varieties, how ripe the apples are, nutrients used (fertilizer)or lack of nutrients used in the orchard, are all factors that have an impact on the final cider. Can you get any apples closer to home? Most commercial orchards don't have much of a market for apples that don't make the grade in a grocery store. Around here I can get "seconds" for $5-6 a bushel which is about 50 lbs.
There are lots of videos on you tube about how to make cheap grinders and presses for apples.

So its a total of 4 hours driving to get the cider?
Maybe there's something else to do in the area or on the way to make the trip worthwhile?
I wouldn't worry about the fermentation issue 4 days after pressing.
I never add sulfite to my cider and don't have any problems.
Is it worth it? I'd say probably not. I've had lots of apple juice right off the farm that was pretty crappy.
Just because its "raw cider" doesn't mean it will make a decent fermented cider. The selection of apple varieties, how ripe the apples are, nutrients used (fertilizer)or lack of nutrients used in the orchard, are all factors that have an impact on the final cider. Can you get any apples closer to home? Most commercial orchards don't have much of a market for apples that don't make the grade in a grocery store. Around here I can get "seconds" for $5-6 a bushel which is about 50 lbs.
There are lots of videos on you tube about how to make cheap grinders and presses for apples.
Ya I'm thinking it's not worth it with all the driving. I'm going to take your advice and call any orchards near by to see if they would sell me some "seconds". I think that could be a lot cheap and it would be fun to make it from scratch. Also I do have an orchard close by that I can get good pasturized cider that's a good price. Thanks for the replies!

Latest posts

Back