Malolactic question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkydonuts

Reaction score
I have one 10 litre tank that has developed a wild malolactic fermentation it’s a mix of 25% Goudreinet (moderately sharp cooking apple) and 75% Dijkmanszoet (a pure desert apple).

I have another 15 litre tank of pure Goudreinet. If I merge the two will one infect the other and kick off MLF overall, does it even work like that and is it just not worth the risk of attracting other infections (plus extra oxidisation etc) considering I obviously wouldn’t be able to add sulphites to the cider at that stage?

I have a bunch of different ciders on the go because I just don’t know what the varietys will do and I intend on blending to taste. I have 25 litre Cox which I know (from last years vintage) will be reasonably sharp in the and also have around 5 litres of Elstar which will be anything but acidic but I’m thinking the Goudreinet might benefit from a bit of MLF to soften it a bit?

How do you know it is going through MLF? It will "infect" other batches if you mix them, though MLF is usually a good thing. All French cider goes through MLF.

How do you know it is going through MLF? It will "infect" other batches if you mix them, though MLF is usually a good thing. All French cider goes through MLF.
This one batched finished primary and sat for a few weeks on the lees before I racked it. Around a week or so later it started with small bubbles so I’m assuming it’s MLF. I’m definitely wanting that.

Back