Questions about my NB Deluxe kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neurot

Reaction score
So I got my kit and I'm trying to figure out how to take a hydrometer reading with he equipment that is included.

I am confused about how the beer thief works. The beer thief which is about a 1/8" ID diameter tube with a floating valve on the bottom and I also got a 3 piece white plastic tube with a handle on the end of it. How exactly do I use these items in conjunction with the hydrometer and the test vessel it came with? Doesn't seem to make any sense to me? From what I see online there are larger theifs that you can put your hydrometer directly into? I have no idea what the white 3pc plastic gizmotron is for?

You want to use the 3 piece white plastic tube. Submerge it in the wort or beer until it fills, then put your thumb over the hole. It works just like a straw. Pull it out and fill a test tube. You may need to do it multiple times until there is enough volume in the test tube where the liquid is about 2 inches from the top. Stick the hydrometer in the tube and take a reading.

IMG_0679.jpg

The beer thief which is about a 1/8" ID diameter tube with a floating valve on the bottom

i think this is your bottle filler

You want to use the 3 piece white plastic tube. Submerge it in the wort or beer until it fills, then put your thumb over the hole. It works just like a straw. Pull it out and fill a test tube. You may need to do it multiple times until there is enough volume in the test tube where the liquid is about 2 inches from the top. Stick the hydrometer in the tube and take a reading.

IMG_0679.jpg

Makes sense, ah I get it. What I thought was the thief is the bottle filler. Pictures online of the beer thief have the floating valve hence my confusion thanks guys.

Makes sense, ah I get it. What I thought was the thief is the bottle filler. Pictures online of the beer thief have the floating valve hence my confusion thanks guys.

Thats what this forum is for. Have fun and enjoy your new addiction!!

Back