Questions About Making Cider Mead (Cyser) - 5 gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewstatic

Reaction score
Wasn't sure exactly where this thread should go, but I put it here because most of my questions are about honey. I'm making a 5 gallon batch of cyser, hopefully starting it in the next couple days, using a cider Wyeast with an alcohol tolerance of 12%. From everything I've read, it would seem that 10-12 lbs. of honey will produce around 10-12 percent alcohol in a 5 gallon batch, putting any variables aside. My first question pertains to this, I mostly want to confirm that this is about accurate. A gallon of honey for a 5 gallon batch will produce around 12%?

My second question pertains to sweetness of the end product. I'm positive someone will laugh at me for asking this, but if I add more honey than what the yeast can consume, will it help keep the cyser from being too dry? Or would it just be better to backsweeten afterwards? Backsweetening is something I haven't even looked into at all actually, so if that's the better option overall then I'll just address that later.

I also wanted to add some other flavors and truly dive into the spirit of mead overall. However, I'm always hesitant to add fruit or rines to the must because I get worried about mold or something developing, but how much of a concern is there? I mean, there's alcohol in there, right?

Any tips on mixing that much honey in a 5 gallon carboy I'd also greatly appreciate it. haha

As far as the mixing goes mix the gallon of honey with a gallon of the water you are using, then mix on the rest of the water. Or apple juice since it's a cyser.

How strong do you want the mead in terms of abv, flavor, etc. I have seen 2 1/2 - 5 pounds per gallon used successfully. Obviously the more you use the stronger it will be, use enough and there is some sweetness left over.

There are a few mead making calculators on the internet, here's one:
https://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/

My 2 cents is this: Instead of jumping right in with a 5 gallon batch, try a one gallon batch first. Mead is a little tricky to make and honey is somewhat pricey, and it sucks to dump a batch you don't like.
Get a scale and the recommended nutrients and yeast energizer (they are NOT the same thing) Follow the staggered nutrient additions and degassing routine. When I first made mead I didn't do any of that and the mead was pretty bad. Using the recommended methods makes a huge difference. There a a few good mead podcasts and blogs, check them out, you'll learn a lot.

Appreciate the tips @Blacksmith1 I actually didn't realize that much honey would dissolve completely in a gallon of water, it just seems like so much. Also, I'm shooting for the highest content possible while still maintaining a good flavor. This is kinda developing in my head a little too, I'm considering using different types of sugars to bring out some more complexity, not just honey maybe. So I want it to be somewhat sweet with a possible 10-12% alcohol content.

@madscientist451 Thanks for the link. That's a much better one than others I've seen. I have actually had experience with a smaller batch, and I was rather happy with it compared to the failed ones that were nearly undrinkable. With the good one I had, I know exactly what I had done wrong with it, otherwise it would have been fantastic (I kinda let it go to vinegar unwittingly...Ikr?). Even though it was turning to vinegar, it was still amazing. If that's what I end up with I won't be too worried, but this time it won't be so vinegary... haha

I have plenty of yeast nutrient too, but it has been sitting a while, almost a year, do you think it's still good?

Any sugars other than honey WILL change the flavor profile. On average most of the recipes I have seen use 2 1/2- 3 lbs per gallon. My stepson has been experimenting with all kinds of crazy meads using various amounts of honey, which is how I know a gallon will hold 5lbs. Probably more but how much I don't know.

Awesome, I have the fermenter filled and the yeast pitched. I also got creative with different sugars, and I made a must that I added in with some berries and orange peel. I'm really hoping for a complex product here. I'll rack it to a secondary in a few weeks maybe.

Latest posts

Back