Questions about Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patchtech

Reaction score
After getting tired of dealing with buckets in freezers and ice water to keep my fermentations cold (until i can get a diy gylcol chiller built), I've grown interested in kveik.

My main concern is trying to prevent variance due to yeast strains in recipes, and I'm looking for one that will have the least effect on the overall flavor of the beer. This is primarily due to how "green" I am to all grain, and it's one variable I can eliminate.

I'll be brewing up a 10g biermuncher's centennial blond next, and it seems Voss Kveik is a strain of choice in my googling. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Maybe I'm the only one in the world - but I tried Kveik and I actually had trouble keeping it warm enough with equipment I had - I traded off trying to cool my beer by needing to heat it.....somewhat unsuccessfully. I didn't care for the result and I think it's because it needed to be warmer (I think I got off-flavors from being too low in temp).

I could be wrong...or alone in this. I haven't tried it again to know.

but I tried Kveik
There's not one "kveik"; all the strains/blends/isolates are different.
Which one did you use?

Some cultures may struggle at room temp, like Oslo apparently and sometimes Hornindal, but others are typically fine, like HotHead and Voss.

There's not one "kveik"; all the strains/blends/isolates are different.
Which one did you use?

Some cultures may struggle at room temp, like Oslo apparently and sometimes Hornindal, but others are typically fine, like HotHead and Voss.

Good point @RPh_Guy I couldn’t remember the exact strain I used but I just checked my order history and it was Omega Yeast - Hornindal Kveik

After getting tired of dealing with buckets in freezers and ice water to keep my fermentations cold (until i can get a diy gylcol chiller built), I've grown interested in kveik.

My main concern is trying to prevent variance due to yeast strains in recipes, and I'm looking for one that will have the least effect on the overall flavor of the beer. This is primarily due to how "green" I am to all grain, and it's one variable I can eliminate.

I'll be brewing up a 10g biermuncher's centennial blond next, and it seems Voss Kveik is a strain of choice in my googling. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thus far, I've used Omega Voss Kveik in an oatmeal stout and an American wheat-kolschy-thing that's in the fermenter right now. The kolschy thing tastes absolutely amazing. Not much in the way of yeast character, but very drinkable. Pitched on Saturday around lunchtime.

The stout was great as well. Subdued, if any, yeast character. Very drinkable. I've also heard of Hothead as one of the top picks for being versatile and mellow.

Aside from the pronounced slow down in fermentation activity at room temp, I can't find anything wrong with Voss. For the record, I pitched both brews at about 85F.

Latest posts

Back