Questions about fruit wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geech

Reaction score
I recently fermented peach wine from a recipe. I used fresh peaches. The recipe stated the SG should be 1.030 when I removed the fruit after one which it was and the ending SG should be around 1.000 after about three weeks and the fermentation was done. This also was where mine stopped. By my calculation the % of alcohol figures to be a little less than 4%. Here is my problem...the wine has a somewhat distinct alochol taste and leaves an alcohol burn in the throat. It smells and tastes like peach otherwise. What did I do wrong? Thanks for any and all replies.

You didn't do anything wrong. It just needs to age awhile. Rack it into a carboy, bung and airlock it, and keep an eye on it. Is it clear? Probably will need several months in the carboy, maybe racking it into another in a couple of months. Time is all you need.

Geech...what was your starting S.G.? I suspect your alc content is higher than 4%. If your starting was 1.030 and you fermented and stopped at 1.000, then that is 4% potential alc content.

Plus, if your wine is at 1.000 now, it still may drop a bit lower.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I already bottled it per the recipe that said it should be at SG 1.000. It wasn't as clear as I would have liked so maybe this is a lesson learned. I will ferment it longer next time. Sorry for the questions but I am new to this. What is the difference between potential alcohol and actual alcohol? I thought most wines were between 12 - 15 %.

Potential alcohol is another way of measuring sugar. Since the yeast eat the sugar and then produce alcohol, it correlates. A specific gravity of 1.000 (that of water) tells you there's no sugar left in the bucket or carboy. That doesn't necessarily men the yeast is dead, just that they've run out of food...so bottling when the yeast hasn't died off can lead to Bottle Bombs, especially if you added sugar to taste then bottled in non-champagne bottles.

Can I test my must for specific gravity then add sugar? I was trying to make my own recipe and am confused about sugar. It's only for a gallon. It's a mix of apple juice and grapes.

juliet325 said:
Can I test my must for specific gravity then add sugar? I was trying to make my own recipe and am confused about sugar. It's only for a gallon. It's a mix of apple juice and grapes.

Yes, you can add sugar. Get the specific gravity up to 1.080-1.090.

Back