questions about a nut brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleas

Reaction score
so i went to my LHBS today and got the makings for a nut brown ale :ban: all extact and steeping grains im looking to see what my target (SG FG) will be, is there a way to find out before i brew it?

heres my "grain bill"
2.7 lb pale extact
3.1 lb amber extact
1 lb gold dry malt extact
1lb brown malt (steeped)
1\4 cocolate malt (steeped)
1\2 victory malt (steeped)
1 oz hallertau 30 min
1 oz cascade 5 min

questions (1)does that sound right for a nut brown? (2) i was reading the back of my yeast pack (its a wyeast "smack pack") and it says its good up it a SG of 1.065 what happends if im over that??

any feed back and or sugestions would ROCK!!

cheers fleas :drunk: :drunk:

fleas ... you could download the trial version of Beersmith to your PC and plug the numbers in from your recipe to get the SG and FG figures.

I'd do it for you but my laptop is at home today.

I don't think you'll be over your yeast's target range with that recipe.

If you're concerned though, make a yeast starter with some DME.

I don't have time to read your post, but here's a quick little secret to help you out. I just learned this recently...

You don't have to soak your nuts in the wort to make a nut brown ale.

Who knew? :drunk:

Toot said:
I don't have time to read your post, but here's a quick little secret to help you out. I just learned this recently...

You don't have to soak your nuts in the wort to make a nut brown ale.

Who knew? :drunk:
Yeah but I feel it adds that little extra "something", and brings my beer and the consumer that much closer:ban:

Dan

ya i was thinkin about making a starter but i have never made one *for that matter i have never used a smack pack* and im not to concerned but for the future how do i go about making one??

P.S since i have never used a smack pack and sugestions?

thanks fleas

i was thinking about using my nuts but they dont like hot hot watter who would have thought..............

3 cups water+3 ounces DME or LME-Boil and cool, then pour into your containment vessel, one that you can fit with a stopper and an airlock. I use a 22oz beer bottle. Aerate your wort, pitch yeast, place in a quite and warm place and the next morning you should have a large amount of yeast on the bottom. Keep in mind sanitation is vital. Sanitize everything well.

Dan

fleas said:
ya i was thinkin about making a starter but i have never made one *for that matter i have never used a smack pack* and im not to concerned but for the future how do i go about making one??

P.S since i have never used a smack pack and sugestions?

thanks fleas

DO NOT SMACK YOUR PACK!!!! That is NOT what the term refers to!!!! I learned the hard way. Ouch.

Ok. I'm done having fun for now. Seriously.....

To make a starter, just boil some water and some DME on the stove. Personally, I use a half gallon growler, a drilled rubber stopper, and an airlock. Some folks use Erlenmeyer flasks. I've also used a 2 liter soda bottle, squeezed the air out, and then capped it.. going back every day or so to let the air out again... That worked too (and was free!)

Shoot for a target gravity similar to that of your beer, probably no higher though than 1.050. Someone else can tell you how many cups per quart of water that works out to... I always just eyeballed it and took a gravity sample to be sure.

Pitch at 70 degrees or so, aerate, let the yeast do its thing, and then pitch the yeast starter into the beer.

Smack packs are easy.

Even if you don't smack it right, you're going to be ok. Essentially a smack pack is a self-contained starter. Inside the pack, along with the yeast, is a package of yeast nutrient, which kickstarts the yeasties.

I had one smack pack I couldn't smack, because it was already sort of pillowed up, but the guys at my LHBS said not to worry.

tastybrew.com and beertools.com both have free online calculators that can predict OG, IBU, FG, SRM and ABV. Basically all of the predictable information.
Or you could download and use on of the brewing software tools. Nice thing with owning the tool (You have to pay for most) is you can save the recipes, make comments while brewing and revisit them at a later time.
Craig

i dont mean to ask alot of dumb question and waste every ones time but im new to this and looking back at the recipe that i have (half) made myself is it going to be to dark for a nut brown????

thanks fleas

Back