question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djstaticburn

Reaction score
I am going tommorrow to pick up a Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout kit. I am going to use probably two pounds of dark DME, with it and about half the sugar (plz correct me if im wrong on that, IE. - if the DME totally takes the place of the dextrose to assist with higher ABV, ergo using none.

My main questions though, Okay I am considering using 1-2lbs. of Crisp Chocolate (2 Row) and the same amount of a Caramel malt, but before it get into that, the reason im wanting to do a pseudo extract, is to bring out the chocolate and caramel flavors and make them more pronounced.

as well im planning on putting a pound of cocoa nibs in the primary on brew day, and racking onto 6 lbs of cherries in syrup. now using the cocoa and cherries im not sweating have read a ton up on it, but will steeping those malts before adding the kit and DME do what im wanting it too

and please, any and all suggestions to this idea are welcomed.

Jim - D.W.R.H.H.B.

P.S. - This idea = Blow off tube

Chocolate malt actually does not have that much chocolate flavor and has zero conversion enzymes so the caramel and it would just be steeped.

DME and sugar are close to equal on a weight basis as far as extract provided.

I don't know the recipe but 2 pounds of caramel malt is a bit much I think.

first off thanks for the quick reply, no recipe just an idea. right on ill prolly just do the kit with 2 lbs of dark DME, and I just thought of this while on lunch (so lucky to work tech support and be able to research this stuff all day every day) the cocoa nibs will more than provide the chocolate flavor.

like i said just a thought on the malts, ill just K.I.S.S. lol, though I would perfer to use more DME than sugar just for the flavor that will get infused into the batch vs, sugar producing straight alchohol.

Back