Question regarding time from mash to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglehoo

Reaction score
Maybe this is a silly question, but I'm relatively new to partial mashing. I have 2 young kids (2 months and 22 months), and the house is so crazy that the only way I can brew these days is when both are asleep. At night this doesn't happen until after 8, which means I'm up much later than I can handle on a brew night. Is there a problem with mashing the grains in the early afternoon (naptime), and then waiting until evening to do the boil? I can't think of a problem with this, but I am hoping for some confirmation. Thanks!

Go for it. The boil should kill any nasties and shouldn't result in any off flavors. I used to do partial grain after my boy went to sleep. It definately makes for a long night. He's 2 1/2 now and I have switched to all grain. Just have to keep him away from the burner now. Have friends come over for brew day and they can help with the babysitting.:mug:

Yeah mash and sparge and you should be fine. i wouldn't leave the wort on the grain for all that time though. There might be issues with oxidation too. Not sure though.

Not sure though.

Try it. Then answer.

I mash in it night and drain and sparge the next morning sometimes to get a batch in while watching my kiddo. Bump up your mash temp a few degrees or expect a really dry beer. Or compensate in your grain bill. Of course, this is full mash, not PM. Which should reduce the worry.

But it works. Planning can keep you brewing on any schedule.

sour flavors will start becoming more evident. I have not pushed past 12 hours.

No worries. Keep brewing.

Dude! You are not alone. I have to actively plan my brew days based around my kids. Not a big problem and I am totally willing to brew under the full moon, but I get luck once in a while and get a brew day when the kids are all at pre-school/day care.

It passes fast. Be creative and try to include them when they get a little older.

m.

"Try it. Then answer." No thanks. BTW, I appreciate the hostility:D

Here's a slightly more intelligent answer: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=30815

Any hostility is aimed at the frequency with which people post misinformation about a subject with which they have no experience. Oxidation? Really?

The link along with a statement of "I have no idea, as I don't do this, but here is what I have seen pertaining to the subject" is likely much more useful.

All that said in truth, I still apologize. It was late. I did not intend to be hostile. :mug:

Another option is if you can mash/sparge and bring the wort to a boil (maybe boil for 5 minutes). Then shut it off and cover it. The high temp/boil will kill all the spoilage bugs and denature enzymes that can make the beer very dry. Assuming that your lid fits moderately well, this will keep the spoilage organisms out and the wort should be OK for quite a while.

I have 5 kids (oldest is 9)...it is definitely a chore trying to carve out time to brew and my brew sessions will extend deep in to the night. With the weather changing it's a little easier to be outside with them while I am mashing or boiling. But it is a balancing act no doubt.

I would think kids are pretty much the most legal thing to brew at home. No limits on how many of them you can "brew" at home!

5 of them is ALOT of brew assistants though! too bad you don't get another 100 legal gallons for each. You really should I think.

5 of them is ALOT of brew assistants though! too bad you don't get another 100 legal gallons for each. You really should I think.

Sometimes I think I should get another 100 gallons just because there are 5 of them. The older kids have started to call it "Daddy's Sanity Juice".

Any hostility is aimed at the frequency with which people post misinformation about a subject with which they have no experience. Oxidation? Really?

The link along with a statement of "I have no idea, as I don't do this, but here is what I have seen pertaining to the subject" is likely much more useful.

All that said in truth, I still apologize. It was late. I did not intend to be hostile. :mug:

Actually, and I don't have time to do the research for you as I don't have the same issues with having little ones around, there are several articles around that claim longer mashes can contribute to hot side aeration. Ever heard of it? Again, thanks so much for the hostility. Maybe it would be better to keep your comments to yourself. This is supposed to be a friendly environment.

Actually, and I don't have time to do the research for you as I don't have the same issues with having little ones around, there are several articles around that claim longer mashes can contribute to hot side aeration. Ever heard of it? Again, thanks so much for the hostility. Maybe it would be better to keep your comments to yourself. This is supposed to be a friendly environment.

I had not seen this response. I wanted to reply to encourage other readers of this thread to RDWHAHB...

This fellow mentions the dreaded hot side aeration, which I have indeed heard of. In the home brewing world it is one step above a myth, as many of us have worked to create HSA and found it does not usually palatably effect homebrew scale brewing.

I have 2 beers on tap right now that were both done with overnight mashes. The only "problem" is that one came out at a very high efficiency, raising the strength of the finished product.

Overnight mashing is an accepted method of homebrew scale production.

As to my hostility, again I apologize. And I did the little emoticon thing like this: :mug: which around here usually means "sorry, no hard feelings intended". I agree, this community is supposed to be civil, and I strive to remain such a member.

You are more than welcome to come over to my place and I can show you my long mash process while we drink a beer. :mug:

Either you have to much Estrogen in your system or you have taken to many Sensitivity Pills lately. Yup, it's a friendly enviornment, but a jab here and there for a dumb post on your part keeps it entertaining. Grow a set. It's just the internet missy.

Latest posts

Back