question re: stir plate starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbeerboy

Reaction score
how long does it typically take for the yeast to consume the sugars in the wort on a stir plate, assuming normal conditions (70 degrees or so).

just to wake up the yeast to go into a larger starter for this weekend's brew, i made a one liter starter last night and pitched this am on the stir plate. once done, i'll chill, decant and pitch into a 4L starter probably thurs. i'm brewing friday night, but may pitch saturday morning, just to allow for enough time to build up the amount i need.

ftr, i'm brewing a 1.055 brown ale friday night, starting with one tube of wlp002. 11 gallons.

My brew day is always a Saturday. I make my starters on Thursday afternoon, put them on the stir plate and when I go to pitch the yeast on Saturday afternoon, they're going big. About 48 hours on the stir plate then, using my method.

Conventional wisdom is 18-24 hours. At least that's what i hear thrown around. I don't understand what's going on in the little yeasties heads, so I can't tell you for sure.

I made a 2L starter on Monday and put it on the stirplate. It took 36hrs before I noticed activity. Gravity after 24hrs showed no change. The yeast bag didn't swell - I assume that explains the slow start.

I usually make starters of dry yeast and DME on Wednesday PM then try to brew on Saturday.

Recently I was delayed until Monday eve for an extract brew- 5 full days on the stir plate.

The beer (maple porter) was going gangbusters by the time I woke up the next morning. In fact, one of the most active to date. Blurp blurp blurp.

Edit: Danstar Windsor dry yeast.

Back