Question-quick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
Ok I'm about to bottle and just realized that the hops I dry hopped with are still floating around loose. How can I leave them behind when I transfer to the bottling bucket? Use my grain bag over the suction side of my racking cane? Pellet hops btw.
Thanks!

Ok I'm about to bottle and just realized that the hops I dry hopped with are still floating around loose. How can I leave them behind when I transfer to the bottling bucket? Use my grain bag over the suction side of my racking cane? Pellet hops btw.
Thanks!

Yea that will work although you may find the material clogs and you have to clean it often. Depends on how much is floating.

This is probably too late, but I would caution against using your grain bag. Grain has lots of bugs that can contaminate beer, I have a dedicated bag for racking from dry hops.

If that is all you have to use, then clean/sanitize well. Probably imersing it in near boiling water would be the best way to sanitize it.

yeah a sanitized paint strainer bag placed around your racking cane is your best bet in my experience. I did that with dry hopped beers and a raspberry wheat with the raspberries still not fully settled out on bottling day. Good luck!

Next time try cold crashing the ferementer for at least a few days prior to bottling, if possible. It'll drop most everything out of solution, including hops, making it easier to rack as well as providing you with a clearer beer in the end.

Thanks guys. I submerged my bag in starsan for about 15 minutes sooo hopefully it will be ok. I'll try to figure out a way to cold crash next time.

This may sound weird, but I've been doing this for a long time now. Pick up a pair of nylon stockings. Drop one into near boiling water then in StarSan and put on the end of your racking cane (or on the end of the tubing going into your bottling bucket/keg. The mesh is very fine and won't let much through besides your beer. I used this method to rack my pumpkin ale recently and it kept 95% of the pumpkin puree from the primary from going into my kegs.

Latest posts

Back