Question on WLP320

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPveritasGold

Reaction score
I need some advice on WLP320 American Hefe yeast. I made a 3L starter for my brew this weekend on Tuesday, January 19, and to this point it never really showed any real signs of fermentation. I didn't see much bubbling or krausen or anything so I'm afraid I got a bad vial. The expiration date on it was February 19, so it was a month away from expiring so I feel like it still should be good. Has anyone used this yeast before? Possibly it's just a characteristic of this strain as some yeasts ferment more "violently" than others. Thanks

Check the gravity. On a stir plate with firmcap,sometimes it's tough to tell in my starters whether they did anything at all. If the gravity says it did, your yeast is fine. If it's still at OG, not fine.

Yes, check the gravity. Is it on a stir plate? A 3L starter I'm guessing not. In which case, it'll take a little longer to make the starter versus those done with a stir plate.

A month before means it should still be viable, but not as viable as fresh yeast.

You can put it in the fridge for an hour and the yeast will begin floculating to the bottom. That's obvious.

Back