Question on when to rack or bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caliper

Reaction score
I started my cyser back at the beginning of August. 2 gal of cider from a local orchard, and 2# honey from bees they keep on their property. Fermented quite well, cleared and has been racked twice so far. Currently, it is in glass jugs with just a bit of additional lees settled out on the bottom. Not even enough to cover the bottom; there are still areas of clean glass on the bottom of the jug. The cyser is crystal clear at this point. My last measurements (refractometer) put the SG at .99 from a 1.08 start.

What next? It's been in there approaching three months and I haven't seen additional lees settling for at least a month. Should I rack again to get it off these lees and continue to age in a container free of lees before bottling, or would bottling now be the right course? Also, should I add K-meta or K-sorb at the next step?

I started my cyser back at the beginning of August. 2 gal of cider from a local orchard, and 2# honey from bees they keep on their property. Fermented quite well, cleared and has been racked twice so far. Currently, it is in glass jugs with just a bit of additional lees settled out on the bottom. Not even enough to cover the bottom; there are still areas of clean glass on the bottom of the jug. The cyser is crystal clear at this point. My last measurements (refractometer) put the SG at .99 from a 1.08 start.

What next? It's been in there approaching three months and I haven't seen additional lees settling for at least a month. Should I rack again to get it off these lees and continue to age in a container free of lees before bottling, or would bottling now be the right course? Also, should I add K-meta or K-sorb at the next step?

Since K-meta arrests yeast development and there is little to no lees on the bottom, I would call it a redundant step. Bottling now would be what I'd do. With a gravity of .99, all that's left is to let it bulk age in a bottle.

Back