Question On Water Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a pretty wide mill gap. The foundry has a basket for mashing, do you use a bag with it? I BIAB so take that into consideration, but my mill is set to about .325, which gets me fairly close to flour. This could explain your low conversion. Boiling a gallon off of that isn’t going to get you to 1.060. How did the OG turn out?

Is it? I thought you wanted to crack the grain but not beat it to a pulp? I don’t recirc so it shouldn’t be an issue but no I don’t have a bag for it, just the basket.

OG was like 1.051 with about 5 5/8 in the fermenter so I failed 😞

Is it? I thought you wanted to crack the grain but not beat it to a pulp? I don’t recirc so it shouldn’t be an issue but no I don’t have a bag for it, just the basket.

OG was like 1.051 with about 5 5/8 in the fermenter so I failed 😞

I do t have the foundry, so I can’t attest to how fine it can handle, but the idea of cracking the grain is more for systems where you are sparking and running it off without the ability to pull the grains from the water. A more traditional brewing system. The foundry you can pull the grain pipe out, so no stuck sparges. With a fine mesh bag, you can mill it to flour basically, that drives up efficiency.

I do t have the foundry, so I can’t attest to how fine it can handle, but the idea of cracking the grain is more for systems where you are sparking and running it off without the ability to pull the grains from the water. A more traditional brewing system. The foundry you can pull the grain pipe out, so no stuck sparges. With a fine mesh bag, you can mill it to flour basically, that drives up efficiency.

Ahh that makes sense than! Well after everything that I went through today if it tastes good I’ll take it. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong lol. I’ll mill it a bit more for my next brew and see how the efficiency compares. I took a bunch of notes on everything so that’ll help.

Hmm wonder why he said that than. He said they remove chlorine but not chloramine.
Sodium metabisulfite reduces free chlorine to form sodium bisulfate (NaHSO4) and hydrochloric acid (HCl)
It also converts chloramines to sodium bisulfate, hydrochloric acid, and ammonium chloride (NH4Cl)

For free chlorine: Na2S2O5 + 3 H2O + 2 Cl2 --> NaHSO4 + 2 HCl
For chloramines (mostly NHCl2 aka dichloramine at typical wort pH around 5.5) : Na2S2O5 + 9 H2O + 2 NH3 +6 Cl2 --> 6 NaHSO4 + 10 HCl + 2 NH4Cl

1.338 parts of sodium metabisulfite are needed to neuitralize each part of chlorine or chloramine

So every part Cl2 (chlorine) or (chloramine (NHCl2) you neutralze adds 2 parts Cl- (chloride) to your brewing profile after reduction (neutralization) :)

Last edited:
Sodium metabisulfite reduces free chlorine to form sodium bisulfate (NaHSO4) and hydrochloric acid (HCl)
It also converts bhloramines to sodium bisulfate, hydrochloric acid, and ammonium chloride (NH4Cl)

For free chlorine: Na2S2O5 + 3 H2O + 2 Cl2 --> NaHSO4 + 2 HCl
For chloramines (mostly NHCl2 aka dichloramine at typical wort pH around 5.5) : Na2S2O5 + 9 H2O + 2 NH3 +6 Cl2 --> 6 NaHSO4 + 10 HCl + 2 NH4Cl

1.338 parts of sodium metabisulfite are needed to neuitralize each part of chlorine or chloramine

No one told me chemistry would be involved 😂 Thanks, I clearly have much to learn.

I also used this filter for many years. It removes 97% chloramine

https://www.aquasana.com/countertop-water-filters/claryum-countertop-100236126.html
I switched to the one on morebeer because it works a little quicker. Didn't notice any difference between the two. They both work great for my water. My tap water has a very strong chlorine small straight from the tap. Not sure it its chloramine of chlorine I smell.

Latest posts

Back