question on short fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretbrner

Reaction score
Hey, What are some good styles that only need a month from wort to fully bottled and carbed? I know most ales don't take that long. I was going to enter a competition, and only heard about it today. Its in mid April.

sorry. They will be all grain, going into bottles, although I could force carb if I have to

Keep it lower hops and lower gravity.

• Mild Brown Ale
  • English Ordinary Bitters
  • Cream Ale
  • American Wheat or Rye
  • Hefe-Weizen
  • Dry Stout

The first three styles will be judged on clarity so kegging, chilling as long as you can and force carbing would be the way to go.

Any beer under 5% if you ask me. You have to really take care of the fermentation though and make sure that you have a good ferment, have the yeast floc out and then you can bottle right away. When I am doing this, I like to use US-05.

Stout
10 gallon recipe

15lbs American 2 row
1 lb Chocolate
.75 lb Crystal 90L
.75 lb Black Patent
1 lb Black Roasted

2 oz Fuggles (60min)
2 oz Fuggles (5 min)

Nottingham yeast

This is a really tasty recipe that tastes fantastic soon and also a bit down the road if you can't drink it all fast enough.

I think a cream ale would be great though. Have never tried to do any of this before.

I was thinking of doing 4 styles and just taking the best of two:
pale ale
cream ale
milk chocolate stout
irish red
ESB
weizen

Just trying to formulate recipes and fermentation times for these.

Although, I may just make two larger batches, and experiment with hops and yeast, and see what I get at the end.

So far, I have produces some really good beer, but none that I feel will win. so, I figure try newer recipes and see what I get.

Thanks Matt for the recipe, but I feel like I would be cheating if I used someones else's tried and true recipe.

Change the recipe to suit your needs, but it looks to me that you are looking for a lighter recipe anyways. Biermuncher is definitley worth listening to and check out his recipes. They are great and he stays at a good alcohol range for doing this type of beer that can be bottled rapidly.

yea, I am a bit into lighter recipes. I do like darker beers, but am not much of a fan of regular stout. Tastes like coffee.

I think I got what I am going to try
1) a cream ale, split into two fermentations, with Vanilla being added to the second batch
2) a kolsch style or pale ale
3) a hefewiezen split into two fermentations, with the second having blueberry added
4) a regular american ale, split into two, with blackberry added to the second batch

May skip the Kolsch and pale ale, but this would give me a possible of six possible entries, while taken two with me. I may add something different the the blackberry, but trying to think of something different.

Back