Question on setting up a419 on keggerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul23

Reaction score
So I got my keggerator all ready to go, and im playing around with my controller. There is one setting I am not sure of but I will list the other settings to make sure im using this right.

1. Setpoint, 40 deg f
2. Differential, 3
3. Anti-short cycle dely, 5min
4. Temp offset, 0? I dont think I need this and I think 0 is off, right?
5. Sensor failure, this is what im not sure of. I want the keezer to shut down if there is a problem and not freeze my beer. So I have this set to 0 right now to turn off if there is a problem. Would that be correct?

Im worried about setting this wrong and having a failure. Im not sure what would happen to my beer, my co2 tank and regulator being inside the keezer if it were to freeze.

So how does my setup look? Anything I should change?

Right now the compressor comes on for about 4-5 min and stays off for about 45min. Im guessing thats good?

Thanks and I appreciate any help making sure this is programmed right.

Temperature Offset (OFS) can be used to have a second set point 0 to 50 degrees above SP, which is then selected using a switch wired between the BIN and COM pins on TB3 (refer to figure 11). Closing this switch would select the alternate set point.

So you don't need to change OFS, as it won't do anything anyway without that switch.

For the Sensor Failure mode, you are correct: 0 will de-energize the output relay...

Cheers!

Thanks a lot!!

Would I be safe if the keezer ended up freezing somehow with the co2 and reg in there?

How does my cycle time look? Comp runs for 5min and stays off for about 40min.

Well I wouldn't be worried about a CO2 cylinder freezing, but I can't imagine a frozen regulator being A Good Thing. That said, the only times I've heard of anyone actually freezing their keezer was when they left the controller probe hanging outside after swapping kegs and the like.

"That would be bad, mmmkay. Don't do that." (<= in best Mister Mackey voice)

Cycle time looks good, no problems there...

Cheers! ;)

Sweet thanks, im excited. Ill be filling my co2 tanks tomoro and will be carbing my first 2 kegs.

Hopefully all goes well. Im always nervous doing something for the first time.

Hope to be enjoying some draft homebrew on sunday!!!

I have read a lot. Im going to try the 30psi for 24hrs 15psi for 24hrs and serving psi for 24hrs and see what happens.

And I know set it to serving pressure and let it sit for 2 weeks but I dont want to.

Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it.

If I might suggest a more deterministic alternative...

Refer to this chart, find your beer temperature, go across that row to find the volumes of CO2 you desire for carbonation level (eg: 2.5 for many pales and ipas) then go up to find the ideal CO2 pressure at that temperature.

Put the keg on the floor, put the CO2 tank up higher, set your regulator to the pressure from the table, hook up your keg, and rock and/or shake the keg until you don't hear any more gas passing through the regulator.

Depending on your technique this could take tens of minutes or longer, but when you get to that point, your beer is carbed. Leave the gas connected and set for the same pressure - which will be your serving pressure as well.

If you do this at a cold serving temperature a few days in advance, the keg will drop fairly bright in time. And you won't risk trying to serve from an over-carbed keg...

Cheers!

Thanks, I have that chart saved already lol. I know about the rocking, I just dont want to stir up the sediment in the keg.

Ive read a lot of posts where people do the 30/15/serving pressure method with good results. Ill check it to make sure it doesnt get over carbed.

Back