Question on Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap1042

Reaction score
I've done 3 wine kits but don't feel comfortable that the sanitizer I am using is the right choice.

I use oxidizing sanitizer -- like PBW -- but was told by my LHBS to only use metabisulphite solutions for a sanitizer in wine.

Does this matter? Do oxygen based sanitizers have that big of an effect on wine? Are metabisulphites the only way?

Thanks.
Mike

PBW is just a wash. (Powdered Brewers Wash) If you are only using this, you aren't sanitizing.

I prefer Star San because it's a no-rinse sanitizer and it's easy to mix and use. Some folks don't like the fact that it foams a little. Other's suggest Iodophor. It's an iodine based sanitizer.

There are also powdered sanitizers out there, but I'm pretty sure they are chlorine based. Personally, if all I had available was the powdered stuff, I'd just use bleach. (because you have to rinse everything really well)

I use Iodophor currently but will be switching to StarSan when it's gone. You can rack into StarSan while it's still wet and bubbly where Iodophor recommends allowing it to dry. Both are no rinse sanitizers.

Pickled_Pepper said:
PBW is just a wash. (Powdered Brewers Wash) If you are only using this, you aren't sanitizing.

I prefer Star San because it's a no-rinse sanitizer and it's easy to mix and use. Some folks don't like the fact that it foams a little. Other's suggest Iodophor. It's an iodine based sanitizer.

There are also powdered sanitizers out there, but I'm pretty sure they are chlorine based. Personally, if all I had available was the powdered stuff, I'd just use bleach. (because you have to rinse everything really well)

What is a wash used for? Dose it still sanitize at all?

A wash is just that...it washes. It does not sanitize. I personally soak my carboys in Oxiclean after brewing to get off any gunk and the rinse the heck out of them. Then I do a final rinse with star san, let them dry and then cap them with aluminum foil until the next brew. It's probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

I think I mis-spoke. I use One-Step which I thought was the same as PBW.

I use One-Step which I believe is an oxygen-based sanitizer. Does this change your responses?

Again, my apologies on the mis-speak.

I found a link for it... (It is a link to a vendor... sorry, I couldn't find a link that wasn't selling it)

One-Step

This looks like you should be fine. However I have never tried it myself. I think your LHBS is just trying to push their product on you.

LD Carlson's website shows a photo that says "cleanser" and also lists the product title as so. It might just be a case of, they can only advertise it as a cleanser but it does sanitize (without listing it doing so)

My honest opinion would be to spend a little extra on Star-San or Iodopor and not take the chance...but I'm sure people have probably used this for years without any problems.

was told by my LHBS to only use metabisulphite solutions for a sanitizer in wine.

Maybe they meant to use only metabisulfite for adding sulfite content to your wine ... which is another procedure which also acts to avoid spoilage and infection.
That same Metabisulfite is also used for what you might call "surface sanitizing" ... but so are a lot of other products. Maybe they don't sell those other products? ... not sure why they would say use only metabisulfite for sanitizing - which generally refers to surface sanitizing ... bottles, buckets, carboys, tubes, spoons etc.

Metabisulfite is also used to "sanitize" (and I use the term guardedly) fruit/grapes and even the wine/cider must itself to kill off any undesirable spoilage bacteria etc. This is slightly different than sulfiting and is a bit more like sanitizing ... but does typically use only metabisulfite.

I've used One-Step as a no-rinse sanitizer for years and have had no problems. I recently used some very old (over 10 years) one-step and it apparently worked fine. The brew is excellent and I got a complaint from a recipient that 'my home brew has a shelf life problem' (won't stay on the shelf).

That said, I am curious about StarSan and have seen it mentioned enough that I may give it a try when my One-Step runs out.

Best Wishes - Jim

One-Step is a cleaner that does sanitize, however, our wonderful government won't allow it to be called a sanitizer because of regulations and testing and etc...

I use it for all my cleaning (except bulk washing of bottles) and rinse it off even though they say not to. I then sanitize with a solution of campden and water (which CAN be called a sanitizer by the government). As long as there is liquid contact with the item, it is sanitized.

I then sanitize with a solution of campden and water (which CAN be called a sanitizer by the government). As long as there is liquid contact with the item, it is sanitized.

I would think sanitizing with Campden tabs would be a pain. I'm guessing you'd need at least a few per gallon. Rather than crushing and dissolving all those tabs, why not use potassium metabisulphite? It's the same thing in powdered form. Probably much cheaper as well.

to get back to your original question, the sanitizer you are using will work just as well for beer as for wine. The little bit that might get left behind is so little that it really doesn't matter which one you use. I personally hate sanitizers and only use them on the things I cant easy boil or add boiling water to like my plastic primary fermenter for whole fruit wines, my racking tube and wine thief. If I do have to use sanitizer I then rinse all that with boiled water to get off as much of it as I can. Other than that I use boiling water on my jugs and equipment, works great!!!

I use One Step as a wash, put my equipment away clean, then sanitize with Star San before using it. A little Star San goes a long way and I think it's totally worth it!
I would also suggest filling a spray bottle with diluted Star San and keeping it nearby, I think it's important to keep EVERYTHING sanitized and the spray bottle makes it real easy.

after seeing the residue left behind by things like one-step and PBW i would hesitate to use those as a no rinse sanitizer. one-step leaves behind a slimy film that needs rinsing, and once you rinse it off, the object is no longer sanitized.
i use one-step (oxiclean, etc) as a wash for all my equipment. then i rinse with hot water, then into the bucket of star san. i also keep a spray bottle of star san solution handy whenever i'm doing anything around the brew'ry.
as for iodine, the reason you have to let it dry before coming in contact with beer/wine is that iodine is not a desirable flavor in a beverage. i believe once the iodine is dry, it's no longer sanitizing anything, thus defeating the purpose altogether, IMO. i used iodine when i first started because it came with my kit and i didn't know of star san.... needless to say, after tasting iodine in samples and such, i quickly switched to star san.
i think the idea of a 'no rinse' sanitizer that leaves behind things we don't want in our beverages is an oxymoron, if you have to rinse off film, iodine, or anything else with tap water, it's no longer sanitized.

One Step works fine as a cleaner and sanitizer. However, keep in mind that if something is really dirty, it should be cleaned first and then sanitized, and it can't really be done in "one step". If an item is free of dirt and debris, and clean to your eye, then it can be rinsed and One Step used without any problem.

Sulfite solutions always work extremely well as a sanitizer, especially for wines since winemakers have it on hand. It's easiest to use the powdered potassium metabisulfite instead of campden tablets, as campden tablets have binders and other things in them making "dosage" harder.

In spite of some others saying that they don't sanitize, I would say that sanitizing is absolutely crucial. Must is a wonderful medium for wild yeast and bacteria to grow, and if you don't use a sanitizer you're risking all of your time and money.

I would say that sanitizing is absolutely crucial. Must is a wonderful medium for wild yeast and bacteria to grow, and if you don't use a sanitizer you're risking all of your time and money.

I couldn't agree more. sanitizing is probably the most important step of the process!!! Different chemicals, different techniques, isn't it great to have options!!!

This is all awesome info!

I have been very successful with one-step for my brews and wine so I am glad to see I haven't been making a mistake with it in the wine.

That said, I am leaning towards trying the Starsan for 2 reasons: 1. The one step powder will sometimes not dissolve quickly and I get a little impatient waiting for that (selfish I know) and 2. I like the concept of keeping a spray bottle of star San on hand for the shorter uses like quick sanitizing of a stir spoon, etc. without having to create a one-step solution.

Is there a shelf-life on the Starsan spray bottle(I.e. how long can it sit in the bottle and be effective)?

Thanks again for all the inputs!

If you used distilled water to mix up your spray bottle of star-san, it will last indefinitely. I think you can use it until it turns cloudy or the pH rises above 3. I never have any left that long, as I make up a gallon at a time and use it and reuse it and I manage to spill about half of it pouring it back into my containers, so I make it up about once a month or so if I"m brewing weekly.

Back