Question on racking to 2nd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshore

Reaction score
First, hello fellow brewers! This is my first post and only on my 3rd batch ever. To my question, with my first 2 batches I never racked to a 2nd glass carboy. So not sure what i should be looking for to know if its ready or not.

I'm doing the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale kit. on the kit, it says for best results, after 7 days rack to 2nd fermenter then wait 7-10 days before bottling/kegging. Our OG was 1.05 and it says FG should be 1.01. I just checked gravity and its at 1.025.

So what should I do? Do you think its ready, or should I even rack it?

Thanks!

We've really done this discussion to death on here. It's one of the most discussed and debated subjects on here, there really is plenty of material for you to read already answering your question, and really any other question on the topic you may have.

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Most everyone on this forum has ventured their opinions on the subject many many times, and most of them have ended up in the above thread. Most folks will pass this thread by because, although this discussion is fresh to you, it's a dead horse to many folks, so if you really do want opinions, and even some facts and citations, and articles, podcasts and other things on this topic, hit that thread.

Quite a lot of us leave our beers in primary 3-4 weeks.

And all the reasons why and everything else you can imagine is covered in that thread.

:mug:

Back