question on my fg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
The refractometer reads just over 6.5 brix and has been steady for two days. The beer was made 8 days ago (simple ipa). Should be lower. I tried rousing the yeast and upping temp but nothing is working. If i add more yeast do i risk over attenuation? I dont want it too dry.

To elaborate, refractometers don't work once alcohol has been produced. Use your hydrometer and find out what the actual gravity is.

Refractometers do work with alcohol present, but you need to find the calculation to determine the actual reading in specific gravity. Someone has a spreadsheet out there. I know there are calculators that correct for fermented beer.

Refractometers do work with alcohol present, but you need to find the calculation to determine the actual reading in specific gravity. Someone has a spreadsheet out there. I know there are calculators that correct for fermented beer.

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

There is a calculator that does the correction for you. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done.

Honestly, I've never understood the 'you have you use a hydrometer' for FG. Sure you have to use a hydro to know the exact value, but you can certainly tell if the beer is done (within a few points of FG) using a refractometer.

Completely forgot about the alcohol veriable. When I originally looked at a chart it was for a pre fermentation brix to gravity conversion. Thanks for the posts, I'm right where I should be ''points" wise. Cheers

Latest posts

Back