question on grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
Went to lhbs to get grains for first AG, edwort's haus pale ale. The person working there I think gave me 2 lbs caravienne instead of Vienna. How much of a difference do you think this will make? Beersmiith told me it would darken the beer a little, but its still within the style range.

It'll make a BIG difference.

Vienna is a diastatic malt which can be used as a base malt. It provides a nice malty flavor and light color.

Caravienne is a crystal malt with no distatic power. It provides a light caramel sweetness and light color.

The two are by no means interchangeable, and substituting Caravienne for Vienna will impact your beer much more heavily than just increasing the color.

Bob

God dammit! Now I am pissed off. I dont know what to do now, I have a bunch of milled grain in a bucket that is going to produce a ****ty beer. more ****ing money down the toilet.

I don't think it's going to make a sh!tty beer! No no no no no!

It'll make good beer. It just won't make Ed's HPA.

Brew it up. You don't have a choice, and you can still go into the store, ***** about the snafu, and probably make enough of a scene to get free stuff. In retail, we call that "OhgodgetthisguythehellOUTofhere" stuff. :D

And besides, it's all going to go down the toilet anyway, innit? We don't buy beer; we rent it.

Cheers,

Bob

I am going to go to the store to complain, this is what he gets for leaving his daughter in charge of the store. I wanted to brew the haus pale ale, not some frankenstein of a brew.

I've spent a lot of money at this store, I would hope he would rectify the problem for me.

When I first started brewing I had the same thing happen. From now on get all your grains in separate bags. At least you can fix the problem that way.

Back