Question on fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcvay131

Reaction score
So I'm fixing to deploy and was wondering if I started fermenting a few days before I deploy will it be perfect by time I get back in two months.

It will be fine if you have good temperature control for the duration. Such as a fridge with temp control, I use mother of fermentation chiller with ice bottles and no way I could leave for even 2 days. When my daughter was born I had to come home the next day to "shower", really had to check my beer that just started fermenting :D

That's such a huge topic on these forums. Some say no problem others say not to leave the beer on that yeast cake for so long. If you have to, do it. If anything it may become a bit "yeastie" in taste but should be drinkable. Some guys leave beer on their yeast at least a month, every time. What kind of beer is it?

Be safe on your deployment.

Two months is nothing, you'll be fine as long as you have temp control during the first few weeks at least.

Ive left an ale or two on the yeast cake for months. I wouldn't do a lager like that though just because of the d-rest and lagering, however haven't made many lagers so don't know to much. I usually leave most of my beers primary for 4 weeks minimum. Sometimes life gets crazy and dont have time to bottle and it sits a while. If you do an apa/ipa/wheat it may not be as fresh/hoppy, but if you do something along the lines of porter, stout, belgian, something that usually takes a few extra weeks to come into prime you should be ok as long as temp was fine

Ok cool just didn't know if it would throw the taste off at all. Not sure what it will be yet if I like this 80 shilling Scottish ale enough I may go the safe route and do that again so ill at least have that o so sweet taste again lol. Nothing's better than a good beer after deployments.

Ok ya that won't be a problem I got the wife that will hook me up with that.

Back