question on extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulyWantsABeer

Reaction score
What's the difference if I use LME versus DME? Is there a taste difference or special chemical reaction involved? Is it brewer's preference? Am I just totally over thinking this?? lol

For example:
6lbs Gold LME
1.5lbs Pale LME

versus

6lbs Gold DME
1.5lbs Pale DME

or mix the two

6lbs Gold LME
1.5lbs Pale DME

or

6lbs Gold DME
1.5lbs Pale LME

I don't think you can do a lb for lb substitution because you are not accounting for the weight of the water in LME. I think to substitute, the ratios are something like 1 lbs grain = 0.75 lbs LME = 0.6 lbs DME.

My personal preference is to always use DME. It may be in my head, but I notice off flavours sometimes with LME (I think people refer to it as the LME twang)

Take a look at Palmer's book, How To Brew - http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

He explains a lot of basic stuff like this for beginners in a very comprehensive manner.

Learn the advantages and disadvantages of DME and LME. Learn about the different ppg and L values of malt. Become more familiar with brewing science and practice in general.

When it comes down to it, choosing DME or LME is just a preference... like choosing pellet or leaf hops. There are however some differences and DME/LME are not equivalent by weight.

The only real difference between DME and LME is water content. They are created the same way, DME just has more water removed from it - it is more concentrated. DME has a longer shelf life as well.

Supplier also matters more with LME. My favorite so far is Northern Brewers LME. Some other suppliers I have tried just don't taste/smell as good.

There is one other diffwerence. DME doesn't caramelize as quickly as LME in the boil. I use,for example,1.5lb of DME in a 2.5-3 gallon partial boil for all hop additions,zest,etc. Then add the remaining DME & all LME at flame out. Lighter colors & a bit cleaner flavor thaf way. And then cover & steep 15 minutes. The wort is still around 180F+ & is more than hot enough to pasteurize,which happens at about 162F.No twang that way,given good ferment temps & sanitation.

I also reserve at least 2/3rds of my LME for flame out. In addition to the above, I heard that it improves head retention as well, but I haven't seen that at all. Oh well, at least they still taste great!

I think there's something to that thought. Mine always give great head. Too much fine bubbled head if you're not carefull,even after plenty of chilling. But no complaints.

There is one other diffwerence. DME doesn't caramelize as quickly as LME in the boil. I use,for example,1.5lb of DME in a 2.5-3 gallon partial boil for all hop additions,zest,etc. Then add the remaining DME & all LME at flame out. Lighter colors & a bit cleaner flavor thaf way. And then cover & steep 15 minutes. The wort is still around 180F+ & is more than hot enough to pasteurize,which happens at about 162F.No twang that way,given good ferment temps & sanitation.

I'll definitely try this with my next batch. :)

Back