Question on 2 vessel mash efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geniz

Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a new single tier system and am leaning towards a 2 vessel system. One MLT, one HLT/BK. False bottom on MLT, continuous recirc.
Herms or Rims: not decided yet.
The one thing that I'm intrigued about with this 2 vessel systems is being able to mash with full pre-boil volume.
Looking at others' posts, efficiencies seem to be all over the place. Some people say efficiency sucks, others get decent 70-80 efficiencies. Assuming I get full conversion is there a reason to assume that I shouldn't get the same amt of dissolved sugars from using full volume rather than batch or fly sparging (and therefore the same efficiency). After all, you have the same volume of diluant for the converted sugar. The difference is instead of rinsing the grain over a period of time after conversion, all of the volume is present throughout conversion.

What am I missing here?

The differences in efficiency with full volume mashing is mostly tied to recirculating from what I've read on other members setups. I recirculate non stop during my mash in my two vessel system and see mid 70s for efficiency.

insurgus said:
We get over 80% on our direct fired rims using a fly sparge.

Just to clarify. This would be a two vessel system. Full pre boil volume in the BLT. No sparge.

You can count on being in the mid to low 70s routinely. If you go over say 1065, you will drop into the high 60s. It's a really nice and easy system if designed properly. I suggest herms over rims though, just my preference.

Back