Question of Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockfish42

Reaction score
I recently brewed the Olde Luddite kit from Northern Brewer and now want to entire the beer into a local competition. NB classifies it as a strong/old ale, but the amount of late hopping seems to be slightly out of character for that category. I'm tempted to enter it as an English IPA, since it seems to fit slightly better, and being at the low end of the gravity scale for strong ales it probably wouldn't do that well.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-OldeLuddite.pdf

If you only recently brewed it, I certainly wouldn't call it an old ale. You might get away with the IPA category, but it doesn't seem quite right there, either; the hopping is a bit low and the color, I imagine, might be a little dark. It does look like a recipe that's designed to be aged a bit. What was your FG? That might influence matters, too.

1.015 was my FG, the hopping is about on par with an EIPA ~45 IBUs, I also had a 2oz pack of the styrians instead of a 1 oz pack so the nose is a bit stronger.

Back