Question: Managing Fermentation Temps with Freezer & Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
Greetings to the forum...

I have a question regarding controlling fermentation temps using a small chest freezer and a temperature controller...

How do you guys set up for this management?

I'm thinking about setting a 1/2 gallon glass jug full of water inside my freezer and inserting the temp controller thermometer probe in that water. At that point, I would set my controller for whatever temperature I wanted to maintain in the freezer.... for instance, 52°F, if that's the temp I wanted to ferment my wort. Once my half gallon jug of water stabilizes at 52 degrees, I would put my carboy in the freezer to ferment. I'm thinking that the temp probe in the small container of water would help stabilize the on/off function of the temp controller to minimize overshooting/undershooting of target temps.

I realize this method might take quite a few hours to get my wort to the target temp.

That is how I do it, but with a smaller jug. My belief is the smaller jug will catch temp swings quicker.

I tape mine to the side of the fermenter and put bubble wrap over it to insulate it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

OP, do this one, not the jug of water! I use bubble wrap or any kind of insulation and a rubber bungee that fits just right over the carboy...you want the temp of the wort, not some random jug of water...

The problem with using another container of liquid is fermentation is an exothermic reaction, so the fermentor will be heating up, while the other container won't be. So the temp controller will think you are at the target temp while the fermentor is heating up. If you were measuring the fermentor directly, the temp controller would know to cool.

Back